The Final Vow: Part 2

"You mean talk to him? Right now?"

Carissa nodded.

Mera stared up at the ceiling. "Hi, Elon. I'm not sure if you can hear my right now. Carissa seems to think you can." She blew out a breath, only to begin coughing. She raised her palm over her mouth to cover her cough. When she lifted her hand, it was stained crimson with blood. Mera wiped her hand across her dress with a grimace.

Just how badly was Mera injured?

"Anyway, I just wanted to s–say—" Mera's voice grew choked, tears misting her eyes anew. "I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry. If it weren't for me, you could have stayed with the caravan and protected everyone. You and Carissa would have kicked those Reapers'... well, you know. But you didn't. You left to save me, and I don't really know why. I definitely wasn't the most deserving."

Mera released a watery, trembling laugh. "I remember when I first met the both of you. And I tried to beat you with a broomstick. Not my brightest move. But since then, I've come to respect and admire both of you. I know it's a vain wish, but I'd love to be more like you."

A small smile fluttered across Mera's lips. "Like I said, it's a vain wish. I can't ever imagine being that awesome. I suppose all that I'm really trying to say is that I'm sorry. Both of you were so kind to me, and I was inexcusably selfish. I know you love me, so... I just wanted to say I love you too. And because I love you, I'm going to do what you asked me to do and love others." She grimaced. "Though I'm pretty sure I'll need miracle-sized proportions of your help to do so. I'm still pretty selfish."

Mera's voice faded, and she glanced over at Carissa to mouth, "What now?"

Carissa gestured for her to continue.

"Well. I guess that's all I have to say right now." Mera's eyes slid shut before she forced them open. "Good talk, good talk. And thank you again for loving me. I know I can't ever love like you can, but I'll sure try."

Carissa's ring grew hot—an uncomfortable heat just short of hurting. Goosebumps rippled over her skin at the sudden change in temperature. In a flash, the ring had cooled again, as if nothing had ever happened.

Mera was still staring up at the ceiling, a small smile on her lips. The lines of tension had been erased from her features, replaced with a radiant peace.

Carissa took Mera's bloody hand in hers. "You did it, Mera. You—"

But Mera didn't even move to acknowledge her.

"Mera?"

No response.

Something within her crumpled and died. Mera. Her baby.

Mera had been an unwanted nuisance, but the person at the end of Mera's journey was a different person than who'd begun it. Her heart twisted with agony.

This was her fault. Despite her better judgement, she'd let Mera accompany them. And now Mera had paid the ultimate price. Her chest heaved with sobs, and she pressed her hand over her mouth to muffle them.

What had she done?

Carissa curled up on the floor, next to Mera. The floor was so coated in grime that it was hard to tell what the original color was, or even what substance it was made of. But she'd experienced worse. Except last time, Elon had come to rescue her and sweep her off her feet.

This time, she was completely and utterly alone.

***

"Carissa?" There was a soft, warm brush against her cheek.

For a moment, she was back in the cabin, nestled in Elon's arms.

And then reality came crashing back down. No. She was in a tiny filthy prison cell, laying next to Mera's corpse. Her mission had been to protect Mera, and she'd let her die.

Carissa shut her eyes more tightly, willing them to never open. She just wanted her story to end, to be back in Elon's arms once more.

Someone laughed. "Pardon me, m'lady. I didn't mean to disturb you."

M'lady? Could it be Ryther? But the voice...

Carissa opened her eyes and sat up. She was in the middle of a field, the green grass rippling beneath the warm breeze. She tried to gain her feet but almost tripped over her dress. Her dress? She was clothed in a white dress, the fabric so smooth it seemed to glide over her skin.

She blinked and looked around. Someone was leaving the field, about to disappear into the forest. His back was turned toward her. But she would recognize his figure anywhere.

Her heart lurched in her chest so hard that it hurt. "Wait!" She picked up the hem of her gown, hiked it to her knees, and sprinted as if a pack of yare wolves were chasing her.

Only when she was nearly upon him did she realize she was going too fast. He turned and caught her in his arms before they both toppled to the ground.

She was on top of him, the ends of her shortened hair dangling around her face. "E–Elon?"

His brown eyes sparkled with laughter, and warmth shot through her chest. She didn't care if this was a dream or an illusion or a hallucination. She was with Elon.

Carissa drove her fingers through his hair and lowered her mouth to his, kissing him with all the love and yearning she'd felt during the past few days. The tight knot of grief in her heart loosened slightly.

Elon kissed her back, his caresses and manner as gentle as she'd remembered. If she tried to stuff any more happiness into her heart, she feared it'd explode.

Elon drew back, brushing the back of his fingers against her wet cheeks. "Don't cry, love."

She sniffed hard and managed a wobbly smile. "I'll stop crying only if you tell me that I get to stay here—with you—forever."

"Not yet. You're not finished in Esmeray."

She'd have to go back? Without him? More nights sleeping alone? More days pretending she was all right, that her grief wasn't ripping her apart from the inside? Her future seemed bleak indeed.

Carissa rested her head against his chest. "Elon, please don't make me go back. Please. I'd do anything to be here with you."

Elon's hand cupped her waist, his fingers running up and down her side. "You will be, Carissa. But until then, trust me." He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I miss you too."

She clenched two fistfuls of his shirt, willing this moment to never end. "I can't let you go again, Elon. Please don't make me. My world is dark without you in it."***

Author's Note: And yes, there is a sneak peek up today. :)