Peter Quill x Reader

A simple fever, that's all it was. At least that's what (Y/n) kept telling herself. "I am Groot?"

(Y/n) quickly set the thermometer aside, giving the small plant the best smile she could muster up. "Of course you're going to be fine, Groot. So long as you take all your medicine, can you do that for me?"

"I am Groot..." he replied reluctantly, watching as (Y/n) went into her small bag and began fishing around. Soon she pulled out a bottle of strange, syrupy liquid and held it up for him to see.

"Here we are, lemme just grab you a spoon, sweetpea..." she hummed, planting a small kiss on the top of Groot's head as she left to the kitchen.

The ship shook as she reached her destination, causing her to cling on to the metal counter top to balance herself. "Hey, flyboy, can't you make this ride any smoother? I got a patient down here with a weak stomach!" she called up to the cockpit.

"No can do, sugar! Not on this rock at least!" her oh so sweet captain called back.

(Y/n) shook her head and climbed the steps up to the cockpit after retrieving her spoon, clinging onto the closest chair as the turbulence seemed to intensify with each step she took.

She looked out at the landscape before the rest of the Guardians, furrowing her eyebrows as the foreign planet. Thick, green jungles. Big blue oceans. Nothing too out of the ordinary. But the clouds were orange like fire, the whole sky looked like it was burning.

"Is this it?" her voice caught the attention of the others who turned to look at her as she approached Peter's seat.

"Yeah, this is the source of all the distress signals." Peter answered, looking back at the terrain before them.

"No friggin wonder, lookit this place!" Rocket barked.

(Y/n) sighed softly, turning to return to Groot before Peter gently took hold of her wrist, keeping one hand on the controls. "How is he...?" he asked softly, not wanting Rocket to hear the concern in his voice.

(Y/n) sighed softly, holding up the bottle of medicine. "I'm gonna give him some of this... It should help the fever. But I dunno about the rest of his symptoms..." she trailed off, shyly meeting Peter's gaze as he kept hold of her.

He seemed to realize how long he had been holding on to her, and quickly released her from his grasp. "Lemme know if you need anything, sugar."

(Y/n) smiled slightly and thanked him before heading back to Groot, steadying herself as the ship continued to shake.

(Y/n) couldn't really complain about Peter's piloting skills, namely because she didn't have any herself. She was just a nurse who was fortunate enough to come across the Guardians when they needed one most.

Without anywhere else to go in the galaxy and her skills going to waste, (Y/n) figured she may as well take a chance and ask the Guardians if they needed a medic. Considering the fact she had just treated a hole in Drax's thigh without breaking a sweat while in the heat of battle, her chances were pretty good of them letting her join the team.

While the others went off and fought bad guys and monsters, (Y/n) stayed behind with her supplies at the ready for the inevitable injuries they would obtain.

She was lucky to have this role with them and to have gotten so close with everyone, especially with a certain Captain...

Sure she'd get crap for not being able to fight alongside her friends, but she preferred staying on the sidelines. At least that's what she would say to pacify them each time they questioned her.

Groot swallowed the bitter syrup, coughing at the taste once it was all gone. (Y/n) placed the bottle back in her bag and gently picked him up. "Let's lay you down for a nap. You'll feel better once you're up, sweet pea."