Makeover

Vandel

It was five minutes till seven.

He would be here any minute.

I paced back and forth in my bedroom, my hands knitted behind my back. This was a bad idea. This was a truly horrible and awful idea, quite possibly one of the worst I had ever had. Trust me...that's saying a lot.

My gaze drifted to a cream colored box wrapped up in red ribbon that rested on my bed. Ridley was going to hate what was inside. What was I thinking bringing him here? I was about to show a human that hated demons the darkest part of our society. There was no way to predict how he would react. If he blew his cover tonight I would be completely fucked. So why the fuck did I still ask him to come? Why the hell did I trust him so much? He was an enemy. He could betray me at any moment.

I ran a clawed hand through my hair in an attempt to stay calm. In addition to the rest of all this shit there was the secret I had found in the out in the village of the Ancients. That said secret had been the only thing keeping me from contacting Ridley until now. I shut my eyes for a moment. Gods I hoped I was making the right decision. If I fucked this up it wouldn't be my first time almost losing everything due to putting my trust in the wrong human.

That's when an accumulation of violet colored smoke suddenly appeared and standing at its center was Ridley.

I forced a sly smile to slip over my features. Well...it was time to go back to pretending I was completely in control of this situation, suave and not about ready to faint from anxiety.

This was sure to be an interesting night.

Ridley

I looked around confused, slipping the golden ring off my finger. The purple smoke had been a surprise but with the exception of that the whole process of transporting from the human kingdom to the demon one wasn't as horrible as I had expected. It felt almost like slipping into a cool pool of water and then immediately slipping out.

"Glad you were able to make it," I heard a voice say. As the thick violet smoke started to fade I noticed the form of Vandel beginning to become increasingly clearer. He looked slightly different from the last time I had seen him, an unsettling reminder that the last time we had spoken in person had been months ago. His hair had grown longer and there were bags under his eyes that I had never seen before. Vandel stepped forward and I took in his outfit in all its glory. I suppose I shouldn't have been shocked at the gaudiness of his outfit. The demon prince was decked out in all his usual finery. His cape was what really grabbed my attention however. It was massive, trailing out onto the floor behind him. The cape appeared to be formed from feathers made entirely of glass. There must have been thousands of them making up the cape and they rose all the way to his neck, sticking up to form his collar.

Vandel noticed me staring at it and smirked. "You want to touch it Ridley? It's actually super light."

My curiosity got the better of me and I slowly reached out to touch it, my fingers gently running along the surface of the massive cape. To my shock he was right, the cape (despite appearing to be made of glass) felt as fluffy and light as real feathers.

"Woah..." I whispered.

Vandel gave me a toothy grin. "It's nice right! It cost me a fortune but it was definitely worth it." He looked me over now. His eyes were pitch black tonight. "Did the ring work alright? You didn't have any trouble? I was worried I might have messed up the spell a bit and you would show up without a finger or something." My heart skipped a beat and I immediately looked down at my hands to make sure everything was accounted for. Vandel snickered. "I'm just kidding. Gods, you humans are so gullible."