Chapter 3

POV Atalanta

We reached a camp site and everyone settled in

We reached a camp site and everyone settled in. I pulled out a bit of bread handing it to White-Shadow making her nudge me.

I smiled rubbing her hide softly before tying her next to Myrtle. Bilbos pony.

Everyone was sleeping for the most part. Other than the two nephews of Thorin and Gandalf who was watching me and Bilbo. I was going to take watch but they don't trust me.

Granted I haven't showed them my face.

"Hello girl, who's a good girl? It's our little secret, Myrtle. You must tell no one. Shh, shh." He said handing her and apple.

I shake my head but my head snaps in the direction of the screeching noise. The motherly instinct inside of me automatically made me step in front of Bilbo.

My hand subconsciously heading to my blades. A low growl escaping my mouth.

"Go stand by the dwarves Bilbo." I mutter lowly as he moves to the group in a fast walk while I move backwards slowly till almost in front of Thorin.

"What was that?" Bilbo asked moving to the looking in the direction the screeching came from.

I stand close to Thorin as I see myself...needing to protect the king and leader of the group.

"Orcs." Kili answers lowly and looks around.

"Orcs?" Bilbo says in a slightly louder voice causing Thorin to shake his head awake. His eyes go to my defensive form with curiosity.

He then narrows his eyes as his nephew's continue, "Throat cutters." Fili says. Joining in on teasing the very nervous hobbit.

"There'll be dozens of them out there. The lone-lands are crawling with them."

I turn my head and glare harshly at the two dwarves. "They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams. Just lots of blood."

Kili finished and I could see the fear crawl up Bilbos face. My frown deeps as I see Bilbo look to me before moving and coming to my side. As if it brought him comfort.

I shake my head at their complete idiocy of being so young. I understand they are just trying to have a little fun but still....Not the right time.

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by Orcs is a joke?" Thorin says harshly and I look to the young king.

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili said guiltily and I sigh. I need to calm myself. Knowing they have never faced someone so....evil. So veil and cruel. I'm here to make sure they don't ever have too. They are only mere children compared to me.

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Thorin said harshly to his young nephews and I shake my head at him.

"Neither do you, young king." I said under my breath but I could see that Bilbo heard me because he looked at me with a frown.