Indulgence

I heard the bang of a car door, and then the sound of his truck reversing, and speeding off. I completely missed what Callen was saying, my focus still firmly on the door that Jett had just left through, and wondering why he had stormed off like that.

"Athena?"

The sound of my name brought my attention back to Callen, sitting there staring at me, with an expression of confusion and concern painted across his face.

"I'm so sorry," I started, placing my hand on the table and rising to my feet. "I have to go. I'll erm, I'll catch you later."

I hurried towards the door, fishing my keys out of my pocket and unlocking my truck. As I turned the key in the ignition I realised that I had no idea where he had gone.

"Shit." I breathed, rolling my eyes and drumming my fingers on the steering wheel.

I tried to put myself in his shoes.

What do I do when I'm pissed?

The answer that popped into my head seemed like the logical option. I put my foot down and headed back the way I'd come from earlier.

As soon as I reached my destination, it was clear that I had guessed correctly. Jett's truck was parked in its usual space outside. The lamp on the outside of the shutters glowed against the now blackened sky. I shut off the engine and jumped out, walking towards the garage and locking my truck as I went. I could hear sounds coming from inside, Jett was clearly moving around a fair bit on the other side. Reaching the door, I lifted my hand to open it, hoping he hadn't locked it. Pushing it open, I stepped inside and spotted him reaching inside the bonnet of a car not far from where I stood. He was clearly oblivious to me arrival, he continued to work away without looking up. He hadn't changed, still wearing the black t-shirt and jeans from earlier, not having bothered to put on his coveralls. Slight black smudges were already on the back of his hands and lower forearm. I pushed the door closed behind me, the bang alerting him to my presence as it rang through the otherwise silent room. He looked up, and surprise flitted across his face.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, straightening up.

I walked further inside, stopping before him and attempting to keep control of my racing heart.

"I came to find you."

The closer I got, the more his intoxicating scent reached my nose. I inhaled the woody and citrus notes, allowing it to warm me from inside.

"Well, looks like you've found me, doesn't it." He replied flatly, returning to the car that he was working on.

"What happened back there?"

"I don't know what you mean."

He didn't look at me, speaking directly towards the engine in front of him. I wasn't believing a word of it. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and I wasn't going to drop it. It was about time that he finally let me see what was going on in his head.

"Don't give me that. You practically ran off like you were on fire the moment that you saw me." I said firmly, stepping even closer. Stopping right behind him.

"It wasn't when I saw you!" He spun around, the anger of his voice, reflected on his face and in his eyes. "It was when I saw him!"

His chest was rising and falling rapidly. My own breathing increasing at the surprise of his outburst.

"Why?" I breathed.

I wanted to know the reason. If there were no issues between them before, then why now?