1

My fingers burned with every brush of the sponge, the ringing of scraping metal echoing in my mind as I stared
ahead.

Dark brown orbs locked onto my own.
Darkness seeped from the pupil to taint the white until only black sockets remained.

Water slowly flowed from the sockets. Smooth and steady, it pushed past the dirt and built up grime, creating a separation just big enough for the darkness to make its way down. Creeping lower and lower, turning the water black and hot as it seeped into every pore and cell until the soil turned charred black.

The river stopped on a cliff. Only then did the darkness seemed to cease. But alas, the water began to build up higher and higher until it began to run down the cliff .

My chin felt wet as I brought my red fingers up to stop the flow but only was it like a twig in front of a raging river.

powerless.

Not once did the eyes rip away from my own. They only bore into me like a tangle of vines twisting it's way into my system, squeezing my chest until my heart bled around it's black tendrils and my lungs burned from its spiked leaves.

My mouth could open to scream but I knew nothing could come out. The grasp it had on me was too tight to even form a thought. I could only stand like a husk.

Empty and cold.

The river that once flowed so smoothly became raging river. It's waves crashing wildly as it set a chill to my spine and drowning my soul. The vine was being watered and growing stronger, keeping me trapped and hurting in its unwavering grasp.

Scolding water splashed on my toes, burning them red and snapping me out of my thoughts. My burned fingers turned off the faucet and let the waves turn to ripples in the metal bin before me. Only now could I tear my eyes away from the window and look at my skin.

Wet. Burned. Black.

I wipe my eyes with the back of my hands and flinch, "Ow.." my voice was hoarse as I looked down at my raw fingers. Red and aching, blood pumped loudly in the tips but it rang in my ears.

Foot steps echoed down the hall and I quickly went back to work, scrubbing the red stained clear container. "Lyn." I jump at the voice, my burning chest barely muffling the beating of my heart as my mind tried to grasp who the voice was attached to. "Are you kidding me?" I look behind me to see Alicia, a deep frown on her face as she pointed to the puddle of water beneath my feet.  My eyes fell back on the container and I began to scrub again, "I-I'm sorry.. I'm trying to get this red out.. it's stingy.." I chuckle softly and clench my jaw as I scrub harder. Soft hands landed on my wrists as she pulled my red fingers up, "Lyn.. how hot is the water?" She moves to touch it but I grab her arm, "Really hot. It was only for a second to get the red out." Her face contorts as she looks down at the container in my hands. She turns on the faucet to rinse it off. 

Clean.

I sigh, "Well, that's a relief.. for a second it was like it was never going to be clean." I take a step back and move my hands behind my back. She sets the dish to the side before looking over to me, "Do I need to start watching you again?" The disappointment in her eyes made my chest tighten, "No! ..No. I'm okay. Promise." I give her a small smile, "I just ended up zoning out again... promise." Her eyes scanned me slowly before she gave in with a soft sigh, "Fine. I'm going to work." I watch her walk out the room, "Okay. Be safe." I smile and she gives one back but it doesn't meet her eyes, "Dont forget to lock the door, okay?" She grabs her heels before slipping them on then grabbing her keys off the hook. I move to the door and give her a thumbs up, "I won't. I never do." I giggle as she chuckles, "I know, boo." She wakes to the door and gives my forehead a kiss, "See you later." My skin burns where her lips touch but I smile, "Ha. Yeah. Bye.." I wave as she walks out the door and down the hall, "I want chicken for dinner!" She yells and I laugh, "Bye!" I close the door.