IV. unknown sender

Aunt Veronica hurriedly went to Bath to check on her niece as soon as she learned upon the horrid news regarding the gruesome murder of the boarding school's guard dogs near her niece's room.

What kind of man would do such a thing? He must've possessed such strength for those dogs that are nothing but frightening. As if ready to devour you any minute now.

Aunt Veronica sat in the boarding school's drawing-room, gesturing to the chauffeur who just entered the room to lay the boxed beside her in which he immediately obliquely.

Latterly coming down from the staircase, looking as if she hasn't slept for a decade is her niece, dressed in yet another pitch-dark frock.

Planting a kiss on her niece's smooth yet pale cheek, Seraphina sat on the opposite chair, both hands resting on top of the armchair.

"I know you must've been shocked regarding the incident last night but fear not, my dear, for I brought presents," comforted Aunt Veronica, flashing such a positive smile.

Seraphina's eyes then shifted from her enthusiastic aunt to the familiar boxes. In just one look, the girl knew what's inside.

With that, Aunt Veronica began unboxing all the presents and one-by-one, she began suggesting what shoes would go nice with the gowns she bought for her gloomy niece.

"This piece is the latest trend in Milan, my dear. Quite sure lilacs suit your skin tone and bring out the color of your eyes, don't you think so?"

Seraphina could all do nothing but nod at her aunt. What can I do? Fashion isn't really her forte that's why the girls upstairs kept on giving her such judging stares whenever they head to Church every Sabbath day.

The whole time, Seraphina was not listening to her aunt's endless fashion advice for her mind was wandering around Zachary Canning.

The incident last night happened before he left her room and believed her. As much as she doesn't like the man, she still firmly believes he wouldn't do such a thing.

Or will he?

Come to think of it, Seraphina has seen such gruesome illustrations the man had drawn. Lurid details on how to torture a man without completely taking their life, Seraphina could remember all this.

Laggardly yet forcedly, Seraphina shook such thoughts from her head, letting out a soft sigh as she diverted her attention back to her aunt who now has a daring red velvet gown on her hands.

Seraphina winced at such a sight. No way in a million years would Seraphina would wear a revealing gown like that wherein it felt like one is almost naked.

Seraphina almost cried in relief when her aunt folded all the clothes and put them back in their corresponding boxes.

Subsequently, Aunt Veronica fished a black envelope and a piece of paper from her yellow purse.

She then gave the black envelope to her niece, stating that it's an invitation to a grandeur ball here in Bath the day after tomorrow.

"I think it'll be best for you to attend this one, dear. Think of all the bachelors who will be coming," Aunt Veronica uttered, smoothening her niece's shoulders for Seraphina slumped back into her chair as soon as she read the word "ball"

Shaking her head, Seraphina reasoned out that she has a lot of catching up with the missed lectures that night.

However, Aunt Veronica knew in an instant that her niece was definitely lying. She's not foolish, Aunt Veronica is perfectly aware that her niece is not a fan of balls like this, unlike her.