02 || T W O

"I've got no choice but to agree with everyone, even if I don't want to..."

*

Do you know what's the worst thing about being alive? Being reminded that you shouldn't be.

That was my life. A living memory.

Bionics Pharmaceuticals may have been based in our small town and made it seem big, but it wasn't. Our population had few zeroes, and the number of people who moved in was less than that. Seven out of ten people knew me when I was alive. Seven out of ten people couldn't accept me in death.

Wendy was that exception. She came into my life after my creation, because the ones who'd requested me couldn't deal with my false life. But our introduction was perfect in Wendy's young mind, and after four years of living with our family, her love for me only grew.

I was her big brother, android or not. My unconventional immortality only made me the perfect Peter Pan in her eyes. And maybe it was because she saw herself as a real lost girl that she had created the fantasy. But who was I to take that from her?

It was nice to know that even in this state someone could love me.

Because everyone else gave up so easily.

"Can I have a peanut butter sandwich?" Wendy asked as we reached the walkway to our house. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at me. "I'm starving."

"Just peanut butter?" I laughed and shook my head. "No jelly?"

Wendy giggled, but before she could answer, we both looked at our front door. My laugh died instantly, my smile with it. Wendy, however, squealed in delight and rushed forward. Her small arms went around a part of my past that had let me go so fast, it hurt the most.

Mary.

Clearing my throat, I fixed my hoodie and hid my Bionics mark. "Hey, Mar," I said with a weak smile.

"Hi, Javi." Mary's smile was just like mine as she swooped down and lifted Wendy in her arms. She gave her the biggest hug, eyes still on me. "How are you?" she asked.

Her questions used to make me happy, made something react inside me. Because before I died, before her parents put in the request to rebuild me, she loved me more than anyone else in this world could.

And I know I loved her just as much.

Parts of me felt it, memories rekindled by electrical sparks in my computer systems. I'd look at her, her dark brown skin and long, curly hair, and just watch the memories we'd share pass over my eye, like movie reels rimmed with happiness. Mary had been the love of my life and knowing she couldn't live without me would make me feel special.

Now, I felt like that old toy you had in your childhood. The one rebranded and rebooted for a new generation. You buy it because it brought back memories from when you were young, happy. But then you realize it isn't the same, something's different, and it ends up in the back of your closet.

Ignored. Unwanted. And discarded.

"I'm fine." Pushing aside the sparks I called feelings, I stood straight and fixed my sleeves. "Just picked Wendy up from school. She wants a peanut butter sandwich."

"Just peanut butter?" Mary's eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled down at Wendy, placing her back down on her feet. When Wendy nodded, Mary laughed and shook her head. "You know, Javi used to eat his sandwiches like that."

Did I?

My hands pressed into my pockets as I walked towards them. Their outlines danced in my vision, almost merging, as I got closer.