Chapter Three: Sweet Dreams

A/N: I took a break from exams for a bit (before I go nuts) and was able to bring out an update...not much of one but still...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Three: Sweet Dreams

I’m finding it harder to walk as I lean more and more of my weight on Cody who was dealing with his own wounds as well but he ignores it, awkwardly holding onto my arm that was draped over his shoulder and the other at my waist that was gripping that blasted sword he just had to pick up.

I must have made a noise of pain as the next thing I notice, Cody goes to a nearby tree and pulls me round so that I was sitting with my back against the trunk.

Swallowing hard, I look up at him and find him sliding to a crouch in front of me, his fingers tilting my chin from side to side to get a look at my neck, “It really did a number on you.”

“Look who’s talking,” I mutter back, pushing his fingers away while moving my head from his reach. It wasn’t my stomach that it almost ripped open.

There was a silence as he reaches for my head again, forcing me to look him in the eye. “At least you don’t have a concussion,” he finally says after his eyes were searching mine. “But seriously…what was going through your head when you threw your shoe at it?”

…Was that what I threw at the blasted monkey? “I wasn’t.”

He sighs while pushing my mud and blood encrusted hair from my face, “Clearly. God there’s a gash in your head as well.”

“Well you’re not exactly unscathed either. It was about to play skip-rope with your intestines.”

“I’ll live.”

An exhausted breath leaves my lungs as I lean back, my energy almost completely drained. I’m so tired.

“We need to keep moving.” He moves to pull me up. Almost all my weight went onto him this time as I found that as we begin walking again that my ankle was now hurting. Probably sprained it. Wonderful.

“They know you exist now,” I said after a while as we trudge through the forest.

“Does it look like I care?”

I met him with silence. How am I supposed to argue with a pig-headed moron with mental movability of a brick-wall?

As we make our way through the woods in silence, we came onto a highway before finding an old beaten track that lead to a farm house that Anne had spotted this morning. It took a good hour for us to make our way towards it resting on a hill overlooking what was once a cattle farm but now overgrown and the forest was slowly taking it back. But the house seemed to be from the era that eve a tornado couldn’t pull it down. It looked sad and lonely with faded chipped paint but it was away from everything and so far no one has even found it until now.

Making our way up the dirt driveway that was full of pot holes, Cody finally opens his mouth after almost two hours of silence, “Don’t tell Anne about this.”

I shoot him a look, “Have you met her?” One look at us and she’ll know. She always knows. It was Markus I was more concerned with to be honest. As if reading my thoughts the front door slams open on its hinges and a ten year old whirlwind comes running down the stone stairs towards us. Markus crashes into my gut, making me gasp and cringe as he tries to wrap his arms around my back, knocking the air out of my lungs and squeezing my sore and battered body. I hold onto him as he sobs into my shirt.

“You’re both idiots,” Anne’s voice came from the doorway as she looks out at us. Her sharp blue eyes took in both of us calmly.

“Why thank you ma’am,” Cody half bows to our twelve year old sister.