Chapter 40: Black crystal

Hidden under an invisibility spell, Taeyong sneaked towards the destination where Jisung said he had used a restriction spell on a female human. The red-haired male was almost certain that this woman was a hunter but he needed to check to be absolutely sure. He reached the place rather quickly and without making much noise.

The little clearing Jisung had described was empty but Taeyong could feel a faint trace of magic and saw parts of a magical plant laying in one spot, which meant that Jisung had said the truth and the woman must have been here.

"She broke free from the spell but how", the guardian thought and looked around, trying to pinpoint the woman's location with his ability to see and feel souls. He was a little baffled when he could only see Taeil's soul along with Jisung's and Minho's as well as the ones of Ten, Yuta and Jaehyun which were further away but not the one of the woman.

"Are they able to break spells and hide their souls now?" Taeyong mumbled to himself without realizing it. The hunters were dangerous with their knowledge about all creatures' weaknesses but they would become unstoppable if they found a way to break all magical spells and hide from even Taeyong's eyes.

Suddenly a sharp throwing knife grazed the guardian's cheek, letting him whirl around like lighting. Taeyong stared into the eyes of a tall woman with black hair and black eyes, an ordinary human you would say if she wouldn't carry a belt with knives around her hip and a gun draped over her shoulder. Now it was obvious that she was a hunter but Jisung didn't mention her having any kind of weapon, just an ear piece for communication. The thing she also had was a black crystal, which she wore around her neck.

The woman wanted to make her next move but to her misfortune Taeyong wasn't an inexperienced teen warlock like Jisung. Without even muttering a word thick, red straps made of pure magical energy wrapped themselves around the woman's ankles and wrists, restraining her from any kind of movement which made her curse.

"Not again", the woman hissed between gritted teeth and the crystal around her neck began to lightly glow. Taeyong felt a different kind of magical energy come from the black crystal. He wanted to rip it off the woman to prevent whatever the crystal would cause but he was too late. The black crystal seemed to just cancel Taeyong's restriction spell like it was created by a inexperienced magic student but not only that it also made the guardian visible again.

The woman was fast this time, she took her gun, a sniper rifle with a special kind of suppressor, off her shoulder, aimed at Taeyong and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. The guardian barely managed to dodge the bullet but he quickly created a shield around himself to prevent to get hit by the second bullet the woman send his way. The bullet, or better the tranquilizer pin, hit the shield around Taeyong, bouncing off it.

The guardian noticed how he still couldn't see or feel the woman's soul which was scary for him since he never saw something like this before. It was like the woman was a black void.

"What do you want here?", Taeyong tried to talk to the female hunter. "Getting my job done", the woman answered in an ice cold tone, while she reloaded her rifle quickly to point it at red-haired man again.

"I don't want to hurt you. None of us do", Taeyong tried to explain to her, looking into the cold black eyes of the woman, searching for something like empathy but he only found an unexplainable emptiness along with cold hatred. There was no way she would listen to Taeyong in any way.

"Well, I do want to hurt you", the woman said and if Taeyong hadn't noticed the glowing of the black crystal around her neck, then maybe the tranquilizer pin would have hit him this time but he wasn't stupid. The guardian dashed forward when the pin left the rifle, dodging it and not giving the woman any time to reload. He yanked the gun out of her hands with magic, throwing it far away while he grabbed the black crystal with his right hand, ripping it off her neck. Within the next second the woman was under a strong restriction spell again and Taeyong brought some space between himself and the female hunter for safety measures. The woman cursed loudly but this time nothing happened and she stayed where she was. Finally Taeyong could also see her soul, which was colored in dark grey, which he deemed fitting.