24 | Not a Date

thank you for 3k <3

thank you for 3k <3

P E A R L

I wasn't sure how to get back into contact with Riot. When he disappeared for the first time, I blocked him and removed every trace of his existence from my life.

The only reminder of his presence was the scar he left on my shoulder. Well, apparently, he didn't do it.

Zandra was the one I had to target my anger on. The FBI was looking for her, and not just because she attacked several men, but because she was a crime lord.

What the hell was I even thinking hanging around Riot back then?

"Snap out of it," Nicandro clicked his fingers in my face, making me cower back. I slapped his hand out of my way and leaned back into my seat.

We sat in the cafeteria. Now that River and Teagan didn't have any suffocating tension surrounding them, they sat together at a table, and Edvany let me know that we should just hang around with them.

I wondered what changed her mind about them. It wasn't too long ago that she was telling me to watch out. Maybe it was her crush on Nicandro.

"Hey, you know who else daydreams as much as you do?" Nicandro snickered, propping his elbows on the table with excitement.

"Nico," Gabriel threw a grape at him, and it landed on his forehead. "Why are you such a big mouth, huh?"

I eyed them suspiciously.

"Nuh uh, Nico," I playfully called him by his nickname to coax an answer out of him. "I'm curious. Spill,"

"I would be viciously murdered, though," He offered an excuse, tipping his head forward and raising his eyebrows.

"That wouldn't be so bad," Gabriel grumbled from his chair, and a hand absentmindedly reached to the seat beside him.

Instead of Serenity sitting in her usual spot beside him, she wasn't anywhere in sight.

He sighed, returning his eyes to the food in front of him.

"Really?" Nico turned to him. "If you're going to sulk because you won't talk to Serenity, just go talk to her," He said as a matter of factly.

"It's not that," Gabriel moved the food away from him, staring down Nico. The table stiffened at the unfamiliar harshness of his voice. "I have a game tonight. I'm fine,"

We all knew he wasn't. Something was up with him, and I had a bad feeling about it.

"You'll play good. You always do," Nico reassured him, reaching his arms over Gabriel's shoulders. He went still, and Nicandro instantly moved away. "Sorry,"

"It's fine," Gabriel sighed and stood up from his spot.

Zion, who sat beside me, looked up from the phone he held in one hand. He was editing the English assessment task before submitting it, and it was an effort to take out his laptop in the busy cafeteria.