Ch 42: The Earl of Pembroke

photo: the Castle of Pembroke, built initially in 1093

Jasper sat diligently working through letters. A number of them came from informants stationed throughout England while a few others were proposals for alliances. Jasper was disappointed, to say the least, that the majority of the proposals were rejections. In frustration, he slammed his hands down on the desk and discarded them into the fireplace with a contained scream. So far, no matter who he reached out to, Jasper could find no one willing to lend their support to fight the Yorkist. Aside from Duke Francis, they had no other powerful allies.

Jasper scratched the back of his head and relaxed back into his chair with a sigh. His head raked through more names and people he could reach out to and trust, but at the moment, his memory was failing him. With a groan, Jasper stood up and decided to leave his study for a time and get some fresh air. However, that plan, too, was stalled as the cold winter wind froze him before he had even stepped out into the court. Turning back and grumbling, Jasper began mindlessly wandering through the castle. He continued to try and come up with possible supporters, but there were few people that Jasper felt comfortable reaching out to.

As he walked, it was strange how empty the castle felt. True, very few people actually lived and slept within the walls of Suscinio, but the place felt unbelievably cold and empty. Jasper shook his head as he found his thoughts dangerously drifting to the past. He found himself recalling his previous home, Pembroke Castle, and how warm and beautiful it had been, how comfortable and welcoming it had felt walking through its corridors as an Earl.

Suddenly, Jasper felt a sharp pain stab his heart as his memories began to cartwheel. He stopped suddenly and gripped his chest, and felt the onslaught of tears sting his eyes. He choked back a sob as he fought to control his emotions, but found his body shaking with unshed tears and constrained cries of pain.

It seemed impossible for Jasper to recall the happiness of home, and the good times long passed without recalling Edmund. All the beautiful memories that Jasper had were now tainted with the image of his dead brother.

Edmund had been made Earl of Richmond three years prior to Jasper becoming Earl of Pembroke. There had never been any jealousy on Jasper's side when it regarded Edmund's title; in fact, Jasper could proudly say that he was the person that was happiest for Edmund. He could also confidently say that the feeling was reciprocated when their roles were reversed. Jasper starkly remembered the image of his older brother's proud, smiling face as he congratulated and embraced him, singing him praises on becoming an Earl at last.

All of Jasper's happiest times were in some way connected to his brother. Edmund was knighted alongside Jasper at the Tower of London, and both took a seat at Parliament, together becoming the heads of the Earls at court.

Jasper wiped his eyes. It had been nearly twenty-one years since Edmund's death, but still, Jasper could recall the suffocating panic that had seized him upon hearing word that his brother had been captured by William Herbert. The panic, though, quickly morphed into wretched misery when Jasper was told Edmund had died in captivity from the bubonic plague. Being unable to say goodbye to his brother was still Jasper's greatest regret.

Jasper had been fortunate enough to have Edmund by his side when their mother died. He had been six at the time and Edmund seven, but together they had found comfort in one another and overcame their sorrow together. However, Edmund had not there to fight alongside Jasper in the coming battles, nor be there to console Jasper when their father was executed. Edmund had been long dead when Jasper was declared a traitor and forced to flee England.

Jasper had been alone when his precious home of Pembroke and his title of Earl were both granted to William Herbert, the same man that had captured Edmund and left him to die in a cell. Jasper had been alone when their half-brother King Henry VI was murdered, and his son Edward, the last Lancaster hope for the throne, died in battle. Jasper could go on, recounting the horrible events that had transpired over the years that he was forced to handle alone. His suffering was endless, and his pain bottomless, his loneliness sometimes asphyxiating. At times it had Jasper sincerely wondering if he would ever be as happy as he was when his brother had been alive.