Chapter 31 - Rose

The sparks were immediate and impossible to deny. Scorpius kissed me eagerly, and I matched his intensity, feeling like someone who had found fresh water after months of drought. I had been standing when I stopped him from leaving, but now he lifted me up and my legs wrapped around his waist. His tongue was roaming my mouth, rediscovering every inch of it as he set me down on the bed.

I moaned softly as he pressed his hips against me, while his lips explored my neck. He worked his way under my shirt, and at the feeling of his warm hands against my bare skin I was brought suddenly back to reality.

I jerked back from him. "Scorpius-"

The blond boy looked at me, and must have seen what I was going to say, but decided he had nothing to lose. "Can't you just not think for once?" he whispered, his voice ragged and desperate. "Can't we just let it happen?" His eyes pleaded with me to say yes.

I wanted to. Merlin, I really did. So I didn't pull away when his lips reconnected with mine. I didn't protest when his hand travelled up to unhook the clasp of my bra. I continued to kiss him as he refamiliarized himself with my body, not faltering as his fingers crept downwards.

I said his name again, against his lips, but this time in pleasure rather than protest. I was acutely aware of the fact that we were maybe a minute away from having sex, and I didn't care. 

"Rosie? Are you home?"

Scorpius and I both froze at the sound of my mother's voice. Why was she home so early? I glanced at the clock, and realized with a frown that she was right on time according to her usual schedule.

"Yes, Mum, I'll be down in a minute!" I hoped my voice didn't show the panic I felt.

Scorpius pulled himself up from the bed, flushed. "What are we going to-"

"We are not going to do anything," I told him tersely as I refastened my bra and straightened my shirt. "You are going to apparate out of here right now, and my mum will be none the wiser."

The blond boy frowned. "But-"

"No buts. Go!"

"Rose, we need to talk about- about us- about what just happened-"

I shook my head. "There's nothing to talk about. As far as anyone knows, it never happened, alright?"

I watched disappointment fill his eyes at my words, and I expected more pleas, but they didn't come. "Alright," he said quietly. And without another word, he was gone. 

Glancing in the mirror to make sure my hair was smooth and my clothes unwrinkled, I grabbed one of Willow's toys from the floor and rushed down the stairs. My mum was in the kitchen, and to my relief didn't seem to be curious about why I'd been upstairs. "I'd thought to ask Scorpius to stay for dinner," she said. "He usually stays until I'm home."

I shrugged, trying to be casual. "He left a bit ago, said he had things to do tonight. He's probably hanging out with Albus." This, at least, was not a complete lie. I had no doubt that Scorpius would go to my cousin tonight, to tell him about what had happened. When I said 'as far as anyone knows,' I'd figured Al was excluded from that, because I was pretty sure those two told each other absolutely everything.

I was glad that Al had 'fessed up to his crush at Christmastime - even though I hadn't known, I knew something was weighing on him, and since they'd talked the air of uneasiness between them had dissipated. I knew that Scorpius, more than anything, hated that he'd been so oblivious to it. He was still beating himself up about it, even if he wouldn't admit it to anyone. I hated to see him like that, but I hadn't said anything, because, well, I didn't want to seem like I cared too much.