Book 3 ~ Chapter 13

It was already morning, Mako, Lei, and Bolin were tied up in a moving van. Zaheer and P'li were at the front of the car, while Minghwa and Ghazan took the seats at the back. Mako and Bolin were tied up together, but Lei was separated from them. Lei was seated on the floor next to Mako, who was really worried for his brother's and his girlfriend's safety. Lei felt calm since Korra was able to escape, but now, she needed to worry about how they were gonna get out of there.

"If you think holding us hostage to use as leverage against the Avatar, you're going to be very disappointed," Mako said, as he turned to Minghwa and Ghazan.

"Can't we just enjoy our time together in silence," Minghwa spat.

"And why did you need Korra back alive in Zhaofu? You had her paralyzed, why didn't you just take her out when you had the chance?" Mako asked, clearly trying to rile them up.

"Look, all that you need to know is that the world is about to change for the better," Ghazan replied lowly, Mako turned away. He looked at Lei, he noticed that she was breathing really fast but she tried to keep it unnoticeable, by breathing quietly.

"Hey, you okay?" Mako whispered, she looked at him.

"I-I'm fine, it's just really hard to breath right now," Lei stuttered quietly, Mako knew she was lying. He knew her well enough, that she didn't like being confined in places. She hated feeling trapped and he knew that.

"I'll get us out of here, I promise," Mako whispered, Lei looked into his eyes and nodded slowly. Mako turned to Bolin, who started a conversation among the criminals.

"So, you guys were like locked up for fifteen years, that must've been like crazy boring," Bolin started.

"Actually, it was only thirteen years but it felt like thirty," Ghazan said, as he crossed his arms.

"I mean, what did you do with all that time?" Bolin asked curiously, "Did you sing songs? Work on crafts?"

"Not a lot of craft supplies in a volcanic prison cell," Minghwa said sarcastically.

"I must've renamed all the constellations about a hundred times. When it rained, it was a big event," Ghazan said, since he remembered living in a prison that was floating on the sea.

"I would've killed for some rain. Mostly, I made up stories about the guards, like who was having troubles with his girlfriend, which one secretly wanted to become a pastry chef," Minghwa rambled, Bolin smiled.

"Oh! That sounds like fun! Let me try it on you guys!" Bolin exclaimed, before he turned to Ghazan.

"You were raised by an older sister, your mustache grew when you were ten, and I'm sensing an unspoken attraction between you two," Bolin said, Ghazan looked at Minghwa, who looked away. Ghazan turned to Bolin.

"Two out of three, not bad," Ghazan said, impressed. Mako turned to Bolin with an annoyed expression.

"Bolin, would you stop making friends with the bad guys?" Mako said pointedly, Bolin frowned.

"Sorry," Bolin whispered.

"Ghazan, get those three ready, we're almost there," Zaheer said, from the driver's seat, as they were about to enter the gates of Ba Sing Se.

✨•~~~~~~~•✨

In the throne room of the Earth Palace, the Earth Queen sat on her throne. She was waiting for the Avatar, who had been captured by one of her guards. She grew impatient by the second. She called Gam inside the throne room, as she kept her chin high. Gam bowed before the queen.