ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

{Future/present Annabeth}

Annabeth watched wistfully as the Apollo kids led the song around the blazing fire.

She stared into the flames, thinking about the past day, and what had gone down.

Going back in time? Something must be really out of balance for the Fates to think that their past selves were in need of help from their future selves.

By now, Annabeth understood that they were here for a reason. And that leaking information about their quests was probably against the rules.

Of course, that didn't mean she was going to act as if Percy wasn't her boyfriend.

They'd laughed at Past Annabeth's surprise, maybe a hint of disgust, but deep down, Annabeth was afraid.

She couldn't mess this up, because what happens in the past––well, it didn't stay in the past. It followed you far into the future, whatever she did here could alter the time she'd come to know.

Besides the fear, though, she couldn't help but admit her excitement.

Time travel was always something that lingered at the back of her subconscious, something she'd always wanted to figure out.

Maybe, just maybe, she could put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Percy bumped her knee with his. When Annabeth looked up at him he smiled, pointing to Beckendorf, who was constantly sneaking glances at Silena.

Annabeth watched them a while longer, and realized the feeling burrowed in her heart wasn't sadness, or dread, but peace.

Because the future (well, most of it) wasn't as blurry as it had once been.

As long as the nut job beside her stayed that way––beside her.

"So," she started, "what do you think we've got to fix this time?"

Percy stared in thought. "Okay, this might sound crazy, but hear me out on this."

Annabeth nodded.

"What if something we've fought in our past––"

Percy was cut off as Chiron stomped his hooves, getting the attention of the campers.

Percy shrugged at Annabeth and turned to see what he had to say.

"Travis, please put that down."

Words of wisdom.

The group around the fire turned to see Travis slipping something behind his back. They all shared a laugh, as carefree as ever, and turned back to Chiron.

Chiron let the fire die a little before speaking. "I'm sure you've all heard about our most recent, er...predicament. And our new friends." He gestured towards Annabeth and Percy, who waved at the acknowledgement.

Annabeth cleared her throat. "Chiron, I think it's time we hear what's going on. We can't help you if we don't understand why the Fates sent us."

Chiron nodded. "You haven't changed a bit," he mumbled delightedly.

"We'll see," Annabeth muttered.

"To be completely honest, we don't know much more than you do, my dear. We received a message from the Fates shortly before you arrived. And, not to the knowledge of your...past self, I was told some specific information about the one behind our troubles."

Percy stared intently at Chiron, most likely not following. "What troubles?"

Chiron sighed. "Supposedly, we have a battle brewing. And..." He looked warily at Past Percy, almost unnoticed. "Well, there is already a great prophecy in place."