Chapter 2

"What the fuck?" Kanes' enraged, and confused voice echoed loudly in the room.

My body tensed further as the whip fell to the ground, the popper slapping against the back of my ankle. Confused, I twisted my head, tried to look over my shoulder.

My wrists rubbed against the ropes, chafing the skin as the lycans behind me began yelling expletives, evidently perplexed. More gunshots roared, screams and howls strengthened. Fear stricken, I remained still, eyes wide with disbelief at the guttural sounds.

"Get her down." Kanes abruptly commanded. A dagger was drawn, sliced through the ropes after a few yanks.

Quickly one of the stocky lycans grappled the back of my ripped shirt as the earth shook, the poles rattling and the metal table tucked in the corner of the room vibrating as well, toppling over noisily.

Keeping a firm grip on the back of my shirt, the lycan dragged me out of the room and my breath suddenly caught in my throat as the lights in the hallway flickered. The two other lycans barged past us, panic and horror etched across their faces.

"Put her in the prison." Kanes barked over his shoulder, disappearing around a corner. Claws scratched the back of my neck in warning when I bucked forward in an attempt to get away from the lycan's strong hold.

He paused briefly by the prison door and punched in a code. The door slid open and a heavy hand effortlessly thrusted me inside. My knees buckled and I fell to the damp ground, palms pressing against it as I straightened.

Lycans ran past where they had been stationed in front of cells, heavy boots repeatedly hitting the floor, their focus completely on the exit of the room.

A wave of bewilderment swept over me when the door closed once more and immediately I stood, limped to it and cursed softly under my breath. A code was required to unlock the door and I, in my panic, had not thought to look at the code the lycan used to open it.

So I hobbled backwards in defeat, paused as the building shook once more. Gasps drifted around the prison and my body leaned against a wall, eyes flickering around me.

The prison was mostly dark, as there were no windows and the flames from torches hanging on walls were fairly weak. But I had became somewhat accustomed to this, so moving around was quite easy once the shaking stopped.

"Helda." I dropped to my knees before a cell, calling the name of the woman curled in a corner. She immediately shuffled forward, trembling hands pushing through her mangy dark brown hair. She was a few years older than myself and was forced into this prison a year after I had been.

"The code." I jutted my chin to the door, recalling that she once had claimed to know of it throughout a yelled conversation when the lycans were not present. "What is the code for the door?"

Blue eyes remained blank and she simply stared down at me for a short while, until my words appeared to register in her mind. Her thick eyebrows furrowed and she nodded slowly. "Ah yes. That." She rubbed at her forehead, blinking slowly. "I-I can't remember."

Frustration bubbled in my stomach. "Try to."

Helda sighed, licked cracked lips. Two minutes passed and she still said nothing. Fingertips were continuously rubbing against the skin of her face and her eyes glazed over. She shook her head, sadness shadowing her expression. "I'm sorry Olivia. It slipped my mind."

My shoulders slumped and I begrudgingly stood, face twisting into a grimace as I limped away, pausing by each prison cell, asking if the persons behind them had ever managed to see the code whilst being taken to be...beaten. Unfortunately, all I received were blunt 'nos' and at times, empty stares.