Chapter 22

The ship rocked as waves struck its sides. According to the clock on the wall it was almost 10 pm. They would be docking later the next day.

The room was warm and the furniture was soft, a far cry from the cells of the foundation.

053, who had been awake for longer than usual, was fighting sleep. Despite 079 and 682's attempts to get her to bed. Eventually she decided she would go to sleep, if, everyone else would go to sleep to.

Her proposal was quickly accepted and 682 laid on the floor, again wrapping his tail around 053 and 079.

053 looked at the others and made a grabbing motion at them, wanting them to come closer.

035 chuckled, scooting closer to her, and leaned against a nearby chair. 049 soon followed, sitting next to 035. Jay was sitting cross legged on the floor. 999 curled up in 053's arms making cooing noises. 096 just lied down face first in the floor. 106 was still in 049's bag so he would destroy anything and 173 stood still by the corner.

It didn't take long for them to go to sleep. 035 was the last one to fall asleep, 049 had rested his head on his shoulder so 035 had begun to comb his fingers through his hair.

When the morning came they woke slowly. There was still a few hours until they arrived so they talked to kill the time.

049 looked up from the bone saw he had been cleaning. "I'm curious, how many of us have been to Europe before?"

The only real response he got was from 106, a simple "I have." The rest either hadn't been, or didn't know they had.

"Do you remember where?"

"Not really, it's a blur at this point, everything looked the same."

049 nodded, he'd seen the way land could stretch on for miles without anything to guide you, it was never a pleasant feeling.

They continued to chat about nothing in particular for what must have been hours until a horn blew to announce that they had arrived. The scps filed into 049's bag for what would hopefully be the last time.

They had docked in France, it only took 049 a moment to settle on which direction he'd have to go to reach his old home. The journey would take awhile for him to walk, but still less time than the average person would take, considering he didn't really need to stop and rest. It took him a bit longer than he had predicted but he would still consider it one of his shorter walks home.

To his surprise Jay hadn't been lying when he said the house was still in good condition. The garden was overgrown and plants had began wrapping around parts of the house but that was nothing he couldn't fix. The doorknob put up some protest but eventually gave way with a creek.

The inside of the house was dark and dusty, 049 hated how dirty it had gotten without his care but he'd have to work with it for now.

He placed down the bag letting the others know he had arrived and began looking for a match. By the time he'd found one the others had all crawled out and sat around the dark room. 049 went around lighting the candles spread throughout the room.

When he got a good look at his surroundings he sighed.

"Everything alright Doc?" 035 asked, "You look drained."

"Yes, yes, I'm fine I just need to clean up a bit."

"What you need is to get some rest, you've been walking for awhile now, we can deal with the house later, ok?"

Again 035 sighed, "Alright, everyone the bedrooms are on the second floor."

682, 079, 053and 999 took the first room. 106 173 and 096 took the second. Jay 049 and 035 stayed in 049's old study.

035 woke up the next morning to find that the spot where Doc had curled up next to him the night before was empty. After looking to see that he wasn't in the room he went downstairs, careful not to wake anyone who was still asleep. Downstairs he found 049 wiping off the windows, having apparently already swept the floor.

Quietly he walked up behind 049 and wrapped his arms around his waste, resting his head in in the crook of his neck.

"Mornin' dear."

"Good morning mon cher." 049 sounded better now, not as cold and shut off as he was at the foundation.

"The sun isn't even up yet, did you wake up this early just to clean?"

"Yes, I suppose not being the only ones here made me want to take care of it even quicker."

"I'll help you clean since I already know I won't be able to get you back to bed."