Bake

Hazel's POV

I hum quietly, going between making cookies and dinner. I don't even need the recipe book anymore. I bake so often now, I rarely ever reference the cook book.

Master and his dad act as good taste testers for me too. I never tell them because I feel like they would be off put by it, but I always try to add new ingredients into what I bake now.

I slide myself off the counter, carefully lowering my feet to the floor.

They wobble a bit, but let me stand on them.

I carefully walk myself along the counter, using it for support. I smile to myself in pride, if someone had told me I would be able to walk six months ago I would have laughed.

Albeit, I can't do it alone, but it's been so long since I've even been able to walk with someone's help.

It's so physically taxing—learning how to walk again—but it is all worth it. I still can't walk or stand for a while, but I'm so much better than usual.

"Hazel," Master's father chastens, walking into the kitchen. I give him a bashful smile, knowing he hates it when I try to walk by myself.

"I was using the counter."

He grabs me by the waist incase I fall and gives me a disapproving look. "I won't let you keep cooking by yourself if you can't follow the few rules you have," he scolds.

"It's not a rule," I pout. Master never said anything about not walking by myself. I was using the counter anyway. It wasn't like I was just trying without and safety.

"When it's just me watching you, yes it is." He picks me up and sets me on the counter, giving me a stern look. "What are you trying to get anyway?"

"Hazel," I say and he makes a face before realizing I'm referring to the nut. He gets it out for me and I take it from him. It took some begging, but Master finally purchased some for me. He told me they were expensive and to use them sparingly.

I think Master will enjoy what I have in mind for them though.

"Do you need anything else?"

"No. Thank you," I say, crawling along the kitchen counter to where I was baking.

"You need to call me next time, Hazel," Master's father scolds me and I smile apologetically. I apologize and he sighs. He pats my head and settles down next to the counter. "What are you cooking?"

I lift up my batter and show him. "Cookies, I want to try a hazelnut frosting."

He hums, swiping his finger through my batter to taste it. I slap his hand away and he chuckles, ignoring my attempt to stop him.

"Tastes good," He says and I smile.

"Thank you... hey," I say, have been wanting to ask him something. He raises his brow at me and I shift, trying to figure out how to ask him.

"Did your wife ever do anything for money?"

He hums, shifting next to me. "Like for an allowance?"

"Um no... like did she ever have a job?"

"No, she didn't."

"Well.... I mean... I've been wanting to ask Master if—"

"Hazel, a job is out of the question." He's not mean, but I know he is being serious.

"I know, but I can't do much else. I was just thinking I could help out doing the one think I can do. Baking."