32

BEAU

"Will Cane be joining us tonight?" Cutting through his steak, Alpha Constance peered at me with an expectant look on his face. So far dinner has been going well, everyone was engaging in conversation and very welcoming of our guest. Of course I didn't expect less from my pack.

"Cane will join us shortly." Giving him a very curt reply I briefly glanced over to my right. Ellanore seemed to be doing well under all the pressure of sitting with the alpha. I could tell that the stares were bothering her. Everyone was weary of her being here, especially those in Alpha Constance pack. But out of respect they didn't question her nor me. "I figured a congratulations is in order for you Vera and Kario."

Smiling, Vera placed her hand on her stomach and grabbed her husbands with the other. She looked so happy and content with her life. You'd never guessed that she was rejected from her mate and denied true happiness. "Thank you. We're very happy, and anxious for our little one."

"Yes." Grinning, Alpha Constance gazed at his daughter with pride. "My first grandchild and she's bearing a son."

Being a leader you know how important it is to have a heir next in line. A kin to take over your role as Alpha. It's rare for an Alpha and Luna to conceive a son so when they do it's common for everyone in the pack to become protective of their Luna until he is born. Vera may just be the daughter of an Alpha but the same belief still applied.

"Do you and your mate plan on having children?" Looking between Ellanore and I, Vera beamed.

Upon hearing her question Ellanore nearly choked on her food. I could tell that she was a little taken aback but looking at her I couldn't quit pinpoint how she felt about the idea of having my children someday. Hell she didn't even know that she was my mate. I haven't had that talk with her yet. I've been prolonging it and I can't say why.

"One day, in due time." Having a child with a known threat just outside the borders of our land was the last thing on my mind right now. There was too much at stake for me to lose already. Once this is all over I can focus on my own happiness.

CELIA

"Mr. Petrovic?" Knocking on the door to his office, I patiently waited for his approval to come in before pushing the door open. Darius, Vlad, Vail, and Alec have been meeting with Mr. Petrovic every day since the disappearance of Ellanore and Mischa. They were plotting something, and from their strange behavior, I could tell that it was nothing good. "I have lunch."

Day in and day out I've been slaving in that kitchen by myself. Tending to the family and making sure the house was clean. It was all slowly taking a toll on me. Rolland was of no help. He was steadily losing his mind. We were both still devastated about Alice, but with Mischa and Ellanore missing as well it was sort of over-whelming. It's like they were both here one moment and they next they were gone. And no one could think of the first place to look. I missed them...

"Just place it on the desk there." Waving his hand off, Mr. Petrovic continued to look over what looked to be a map displayed across the wall. "They have to be somewhere in this area. It's the only place that hasn't been checked."

"Well why don't we gather up some men and check it out for ourselves." Vlad suggested.

"You don't think they'll be expecting us? I don't want to set ourselves up for an ambush."

Very aware of a pair of eyes on me, I briefly looked over my shoulder. Vail was staring a hole into my back. His gaze hard and penetrating. "I have an idea."

CANE

Seeing Vera with a husband was hard, but to see that she was expecting, and a son at that, was like a punch to the gut. I knew that I messed up letting her go. Everyday I wished I could take back that mistake, but our fate was sealed and the bond that we once had was nearly nonexistent. She's made room in her heart for someone new and overtime I've been prolonging doing the same.

"Thanks for bringing me to dinner with your family." Stepping outside on the porch, Mara turned to face me with an infectious smile on her face. I've barely paid her any mind tonight. My mind has been solely on Vera.

Mara is a woman that I've been seeing on and off for a while now. We didn't have anything serious, no status on our relationship, and I sort of liked having things that way. She never complained about wanting more, and she allowed me to have my space. Seeing Vera move on with a family of her own had me rethinking things with Mara and I.

Rejecting Vera I never wanted to settle down with anyone else. How I saw it, no one would ever be good enough or a perfect match for me. I was content with being alone. But of course if I were to ever make someone my wife I honestly feel as if that could be Mara. That I was willing to give a try.

"You want to stay the night?"

I could tell that she was shocked by my question but after a moments thought she slowly nodded her head. "I'd like that."

ELLANORE

"So, let me get this straight. I'm your mate?" I don't know why it didn't seem clear at first, but now it all makes sense.

Sighing, Beau rubbed the back of his neck as he nodded his head. He didn't seem to thrilled about the fact that I now knew... or maybe he was disappointed that he's been stuck with me as a mate... either way it sort of made me feel a little dejected. "Would you prefer that it be someone else?" I hated to ask but I needed to know.

"No that's not the problem." Beau frowned at my question. "I wanted to wait to tell you. At least until everything boils down with this feud that we have going on. For your safety and mines."

"You don't have to worry about me. I'll be just fine, I'm sure." Walking into the closet I stripped out of my dress and slipped into a nightgown and robe.

"Ellanore, I don't think you truly understand the concept of mates or ranks within a pack."

"Ms. Newell explained everything. It all seems pretty clear-cut to me." I didn't need another break down on mates or titles and ranks. I still needed answers, but tonight was clearly not the night to pester him for it. "Look we can just talk about it tomorrow. I'm sure they're waiting for you downstairs."

I wasn't sure that knowing I'm mates with Beau would change things, but only time could tell. Everything was still so new to me, and I'm in the process of trying to adjust.

"I won't be long." Rising from the edge of the bed, Beau adjusted the cuffs of his shirt. Dinner was over no more than an hour ago and mostly everyone has retired to their rooms for the night. Everyone except Beau, Alpha Constance and their next in command. They were going to be in his study so that they could discuss business privately.

Nodding my head in response, I sat down on the foot of the bed just as there was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

Stepping under the threshold was a large bulky man. Dressed in nothing but a pair of sweats, his feet bare and dirty.

"There's a woman here. She's requesting that she speak to the Luna." Briefly turning his gaze on me, he looked to Beau for further commands. "She's been placed in the holding cell, says that her name is Celia."

"Very well. I'll handle it. You and your men do another perimeter check."

Nodding his head he closed the door, leaving me and Beau alone once again.

Hearing Celia's name, I quickly stood to my feet. The first thing I could think of was how did she find me? But that was quickly overlooked by my need to see her. "I'm coming with you." Tying my robe around my waist, I slipped my feet into a pair of slippers.

"No, you're staying here. We don't even know if she's who she says she is."

"Celia is my friend. I'm sure she's worried about me." I knew that Beau had his restrictions with my involvement in things, but this was a matter that didn't need to be discussed.

This place was hard to find for humans, so Celia had to be here for a reason... and I wanted to know why.