06 || S I X

"It's kind of hard to hide 'wounds' engraved into metal, you know?"

*

"I'd like permission to leave."

Staring at the clock, I waited for time to move. There was only an hour until I had to pick up Wendy, but of course, I couldn't move. Couldn't think. I saw Rory in my head, clear as day.

"I don't think I was really needed here today, Mary."

Had I been selfish there? Had I not thought of him? Such a human thing to... think of yourself when times look bleak. I thought I was bigger than that. Better. As I looked down at my hands, stretching out my fingers to feel the metal within me, I knew I aspired to be.

"I've disconnected from your systems, Javi."

Did you, Ror? Because I feel like shit right now.

My head slumped back against my couch pillow as I glanced at the clock again. I couldn't sit and mope. If it were up to me, I'd be packing a snack bag to take for Wendy. But until Mary was done keying in my very normal and unaffected diagnostic readings, we couldn't leave.

We also couldn't speak. Rory left us in a silence that weighed down on us both. The moment he was gone, we glanced at each other, sighed, and went right back to work.

So, I sat with her beside me. It could've been nicer, possibly closer, but there was a chip connected to my arm, transmitting data to her tablet. I only had to remain still as she ran one last test. Not that we had.

The television was my friend.

Tapping my wristband against my thigh, I changed the channel.

"Bionics—" The commercial on the screen was loud, bright, and three Androids smiled at the camera. "—forever creating your much-needed friend!"

I remembered that slogan. It was how the program at Bionics had started, and Rory had been the poster droid for it all. His AI was higher than any other company could ever achieve, and I remember him being so happy.

Unlike today...

After all the promotions and marketing, I died. And for the life of me, I couldn't remember why they'd removed him from the face of the company. Bionics androids were Rory. I was Rory.

Groaning, I changed the channel.

"This weekend only, we have a big sale on carpets—"

Tapped the bracelet, flipped the channel. I'd done it four times without even letting the broadcast settle into play.

Next to me, Mary chuckled under her breath. "I'm almost done," she said. "Your file's at ninety percent."

I glanced over at her and smiled. There was something about the way she was sitting there, legs crossed under her, pillow on her lap. It reminded me of our happier days, our calm days...

Before realizing that dating an android was too hard, too unrealistic, and unfair.

As my smile weakened, I looked back at the television. I tapped my wristband again. "Sooner you're done, the sooner I can leave and you can go back to Ror."

"Right..." Mary sighed before looking into the kitchen. She noted the grocery bag I'd left on the counter. "Cooking dinner tonight?"

I tapped my bracelet again and shrugged. "I always do. It's my job."

"Right..." Mary repeated, pressing her finger against the side of her tablet. "What... were you making?"

"Tacos." I rolled my neck around my shoulders, wanting to ignore her. I knew what she was doing. This was normal for her. Coming over, as though nothing were wrong, and sitting down with my family, as if everything were fine. But... not today. "Wendy's request."