Chapter 26

"You need to come to the station fast!" Carlos tells Angela over the phone. "We have a witness!" He says quickly and loud enough to make Angela wince.

"What! Okay I'm on my way don't let that person leave!" Angela says quickly placing the plastic food container on the coffee table as she runs to her room already undressing. She doesn't have time to waste as she changes to her police uniform without even showering.

She picks up her keys, phone and shoes and as quickly as possible she goes to her car starting it and speeding to the station.

"Where is the witness!?" Angela ask Carlos making the man jump in his desk by her sudden presence.

"I told her to wait out front" he tells me as Angela's eyes widen in shock at his carelessness. Didn't he realize what was at stake?

"I told you to make sure the person doesn't leave!" Angela tells him in slight anger. She runs her hand over her chest and stomach to smoothen her clothes.

"And that's what I told her... to not leave. I think she's the only one there so call her in" he tells Angela as he types something in the computer.

"Come with me, you already know how they looks like" Angela orders him snapping her fingers so he moves faster. He closes the file to then click something in his computer with a heavy sigh. Quickly he stands up taking Angela upfront. He opens the door peering outside as he calls them over.

Angela is confused. A teenage girl walks towards her. Carlos and Angela could tell she was nervous from how pale she was and her constant swallowing.

"This is the girl, the golden ticket" he tells her with a laugh he gives Angela two pats in the back. With that he leaves to continue working on his file.

"What's your name sweetheart?" Angela ask as she guides the young woman to her office. The police station is rather calm at least for now. Everyone seemed focused on specific task. Angela opens the door gesturing the girl to come in and closing once the both of them are inside.

"Amber" Angela nods awaiting her last names as she takes out a blank file. The girls silence made her look up only to see the girl nervously look around her eyes darting everywhere inside the office.

"Amber?"

"Yes, Amber" She assures Angela who nods her head.

"What are your last name Amber?" She questions as pen meets paper.

"Oh, sorry. Amber Iero Way" Angela nods quickly writing down this information.

"How old are you Amber?" She squints her eyes as the girl grows even more nervous.

"17" it's barely a whisper and it makes Angela ask again only to receive the answer more loudly and clear.

"Do you have a parent or a guardian here?" Angela ask and the girl slumps in her seat. She shakes her head and starts to bite her nails. "Okay we can stop any time you feel uncomfortable or want to call a parent or guardian, do you understand?" Angela question as the girl nods her head.

After gathering the basic information Angela sits straight looking at the girl. She knew this type of witness they make spur of a moment decision cause the have seen something they can't live with. She was positive it was about yesterday's shooting in the neighborhood that left two dead.

Angela opens her mouth only to be silenced by Amber.

"It's about the missing girl!" Amber blurts out eyes wide and hands gripping the armrest too tightly, Angela is astonished she thought it was from the shooting, but she was clearly wrong.

"Can you tell me which case exactly?" Angela questions she didn't want to get her hopes high.

"The one that has been on the news about the girl." Amber says Angela nods as she opens one of her drawers and pulls out a black binder with the words -Missing people reports-with the beginning month and the year on the cover page. All these reports were already digitally but it's still required to have them physically.

"Can you identify this person?" Angela questions, she opens the binder starting with a black young woman who is eighteen years old she had gone missing on the beginning of the year and still they had no trace of her. Her mother still came by the station to ask if they had something new to get her back home. Some of the photos were from men and women from close by states.

"I'm talking about the girl that was kidnapped not long ago. Laura jango or something similar" the girl takes out her phone as she quickly search for something and shows it to Angela. It's Lauren's picture.

"I was at... I was at the club that day and when me... me and my friends were leaving together we saw something sketchy going down." Angela starts writing every word that leaves Ambers mouth

"We saw someone struggling against a car. I think it was a white car."

"Can you tell me approximately what hour this happened and the name of the pub you were?" Angela questions.

"It was about two or three in the morning I don't actually remember but I think it was almost closing time"

"Did you drink that night?"

"Yes... I mean no"

"This only works if we are being honest"

"I did but not enough to be drunk"

"Were you close enough to identify one of them?"

"Not close enough to see their faces, but close enough to take like notice you know?"

"Can you tell me what they were wearing?"

"I think so, one had a red dress or wine colored I don't know if those are the same." Amber admits.

"And the other person?"

"Um... really dark colors, black or like navy blue it's hard to tell it was slightly dark"

"Did you see anything more?"

"Um not too much my friends were pulling me away we were scared."

"Something that might have caught your attention or something distinctive about this?"

"I saw the person... but very briefly" Amber is shaking, her eyes blinking too much and her grip on the armrest was tight enough that her knuckles were white. "I saw them in the car as they passed us by... he didn't see us. And I was pulled down to the ground so hard that I scraped my knees."

"It was a man?" Angela ask to confirm this information.

"It... it is"

"Can you describe him for me?"

"I didn't see him well but he's thin and his skin is... I think it was tan"

"What made you think it was a man?"

"The hair"

"How is their hair? Can you describe it for me please?"

"It was a dark color maybe black or brown. It appeared short. But he had something covering his face before he left, I... I don't remember what it was"

"So you were drinking at?"

"Desired"

"And your seventeen correct?"

"Uh... Yes"

"How did you get in the club? Do you have an ID or license?" The silence on ambers behalf was everything Angela needed to know. As grateful as Angela is for her speaking up she has to follow the law. "You know that a fake ID is illegal... as well as underage drinking"