01 - Intruder

Five Years After the Battle of Hogwarts

It was a little after 11 pm when the front door was blown off its hinges.

Sofia put a hand to her chest, nearly letting out a scream. She was currently alone in the house with just her older brother.

She sighed heavily, throwing the book on her desk as she got up and stormed over to her bedroom door. "Newt? What in Merlin's name are you doing down there?"

The reply came back muffled. She took a few steps out of her room, seeing her brother's feet at the front door. She was about to call out again when her brother started doing the oddest thing. He twirled around, dancing like a ballerina.

Sofia let out a laugh until her brother fell over, landing backward on the coffee table. That was when she noticed there was a second person just outside the doorway.

What was going on? "Newt?"

Her brother's eyes met her own and there was an agonizing, pleading look in them.

"Who are you? Get out of here!" Sofia shouted.

Sofia headed downstairs. Halfway down she spotted a dark-haired boy with pale skin about her age stood over her brother.

He ignored her completely. "Avada Kedavra."

Sofia couldn't take her eyes from her brother. A frozen smile was plastered on his face along with a look of fear in his eyes. It held her in place as she stood immobile in the middle of the stairs.

The intruder stepped forward as he looked up. His gaze met hers and their eyes locked. He looked pleased as he studied her for a moment. When he moved towards her, a strange sound escaped her throat and she turned and ran, not expecting to make it.

Sofia ran into her room, slamming the door. She looked for her wand, but it wasn't in its usual spot. She couldn't think straight. The unhurried footsteps of her brother's murderer came closer. There was nowhere to run, and the small open window would barely fit a cat through it.

Her throat closed up as she stifled a sob and hid inside her closet.

The door opened with a creak as Sophia's nails dug into her arms.

The footsteps stopped in the middle of her room near her bed as the intruder remained silent.

Sofia was sure the sound of her heartbeat would give her away. It was a stupid place to hide. The image of her brother's empty eyes suddenly made her retch as she lost her dinner..

The closet door opened slowly as she felt his gaze that made Sofia freeze, her eyes glued to the messed-up carpet.

The sound of laughter broke the spell as she looked up into his mocking gaze. Sofia felt something else rise up and she wanted to knock the boy's teeth down his throat.

He tilted his head at the change, finding her interesting.

Sofia lunged at her brother's murderer, but he was ready and grabbed her arms, dropping his wand. He spun her around, holding her and pinning her arms in an x formation from behind. He was stronger than he looked.

They slid down to the floor, as she felt his lips touch her ear and felt his breath on her skin as he laughed again.

Her eyes went to the boy's wand.

"Do you think you'd get to it in time?" His voice made her jump.

She didn't answer as she struggled again, unable to break free.

"Do you want to kill me, dear?" He asked.

Her voice broke, as tears streamed down her cheeks betraying her. "Go to hell."

"Do you think you'd be able to cast a killing curse? It takes a lot of hate." He said.

"Who are you? One of Voldemort's leftovers?" She asked.

She felt him laugh again. "I'm Tom Riddle."

Sofia turned and looked at the boy's face as if for the first time. He watched her calmly, letting the information sink in.

"That's impossible. Voldemort died five years ago at the Battle of Hogwarts." Sofia said.

"Did he now?"

"Do you think no one heard the door being broken down? You're not getting away with this." Sofia said through clenched teeth.

"No one will arrive in time to save you, my dear. It will take a few days before they even find out he died. I placed a spell preventing anyone from hearing us. You can scream at the top of your lungs and no one will hear you." Riddle said.

A small whimper escaped her throat. She wanted to remain angry but found herself crying instead. She hated herself for feeling so helpless.

He looked around the room. "Your parents aren't very careful are they dear? I was here a few days ago. I broke in during the night. The back door wasn't even locked."

Sofia remembered her brother looking everywhere for his wand. She hadn't even noticed her own was missing until tonight.

"I saw you sleeping and planned on killing you too. Your entire family is dead and you're next." He said with a smile.

"I hate you," Sofia said softly.

"You're mine now." Riddle breathed into her ear.

"You're going to have to let go of me to reach your wand," Sofia said.

"You think I need a wand to cast a spell?" Riddle asked.

Before Sofia could process what he said, Riddle whispered a spell into her ear and she felt everything go black.