6

Defence Against the Dark Arts was the one subject Alexandra was not looking forward to. After finding out that Quildemort (her name for the Voldemort-Quirrell hybrid) was at Hogwarts, possibly for her, possibly for Harry, she'd entirely freaked and stayed as far away from him as possible. It was probably the most she interacted with her house mates, as well, making sure to immerse herself in conversations. She might not have been the most approachable person, but she was willing to do anything to stay away from Quildemort. But that only worked for so long. She was partnered with Charlotte this time as they practiced the knockback jinx.
"Flipendo!" Charlotte said but only managed to gently push Alexandra back.

"You're doing a 'v' before the flick at the end. Try to do more of a tick movement, then the flick." Alexandra said. Charlotte nodded and tried again, this time managing to successfully throw Alexandra back a couple feet.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" Charlotte ran as Alexandra lay on the floor.

"I'm fine." She smiled, not making an attempt to stand back up. "Just as soon as the room stops spinning."

"I'm so sorry."

"For what? That was brilliant!" Alexandra smiled before sitting up. Quirrell walked over.

"Well d-d-done, Charlotte. Although next time perhaps not qu-quite so f-f-f-f- so ferociously."

"Unless you have a target you really would like to knock back. Hey, maybe you could use it on Ernie!" Alexandra laughed

"Hey!" Came an offended tone from beside her. Alexandra stood.

"Per- perhaps you'd like to- to sit the rest of the class out?" Quirrell asked.

"No, I'm fine." Alexandra said, as the students all dispersed to their positions. She and Charlotte resumed their spots too, and Quirrell walked away.

"Your turn." Charlotte smiled.

"What if I hurt you?" Alexandra frowned.

"Go for it. You can take me to the hospital wing." Charlotte laughed. Alexandra shook her head.

"Flipendo!" Alexandra said, half heartedly and nothing happened.

"Really?" Charlotte asked. "Come on, I can handle it. You know you can do practically any spell you try."

"So why do I need to practice?"

"So we have an excuse to ditch this class. I mean Quirrell's always staring at you and it's super creepy."

"It's fine. I don't want to hurt you."

"How could the hat ever want to put you in Slytherin?" Charlotte shook her head, kindly.

"You clearly don't know me. I am as evil as they come." Alexandra scoffed, jokingly.

"Oh yes. So evil. I'm absolutely quaking in my boots. Now come on. We don't have all day."

"Flipendo!" Alexandra said, this time with more force in her words and Charlotte flew back and hit a wall. Alexandra ran to her side, and saw blood at the back of her head. "Oh, my god! Charlie!" Charlotte groaned, half delirious before passing out. Alexandra picked the small girl.

"Okay, that-that's enough." Quirrell stuttered, and everyone stopped what they were doing, to crowd over.

"I'm taking her to the hospital wing." Alexandra said and walked out of the classroom, with Susan Bones at her side. Once they were a few feet away, Charlotte came to and clambered out of her hands.

"And we're out." Charlie smirked, and the girls looked at her, confused.

"You two planned this?" Susan asked.

"No- are you okay?" Alexandra asked the younger girl.

"Yeah, totally. Your brothers gave me a little something to help me with ditching class."

"Wait, you're not hurt?" Alexandra frowned.

"No."

"What the hell, Charlie? My brothers? What are you doing?"

"I wanted to get you out of Quirrell's class."

"So you pretended to crack your head on the wall?"

"You barely pushed me, with your spell. I knew you could never have it in you to hurt me, and Quirrell's creepy."

"I thought I hurt you. Really hurt you. How could you do that?" Alexandra said, tears filling her eyes.

"He needed to believe I wasn't okay. I had to make him believe, and the only way for that was to make you believe." Charlotte tried to explain. Alexandra stormed away.

"That was kind of harsh, Charlie."

"You see the way he looks at her. Some sort of weird fascination. A teacher should not be looking at a student like that. Ever."

"You could've given her whatever it was you took. She already knows Quirrell's creepy. Why do you think she gossips with us in DADA?"

"I know she knows he's weird, but she'd never do anything. Haven't you noticed he's always trying to separate her from us?"

"Look, I'm not going to pretend to understand Alex. She freaks out whenever she gets close to anyone. She sneaks out when everyone's asleep, and spends her time in the common room alone. Something's happened to her, and she's afraid of getting us hurt. I'm thinking it's probably the reason she stays away from everyone." Susan explained. "But whatever it is about Quirrell- he scares her much more than she's scared of something happening to us. You just took one of her worst fears and turned it around on her."

"Oh." Charlotte looked down.

"But you were right about Quirrell. He does show way more of an interest in her than he should, and I think it's maybe time Dumbledore knew about it." The girls looked at each other in determination, before racing to the headmaster's office.