Chapter 26

Recap:

There are 5-10 photos spread on the table, all of Stefan and I in various compromising positions. One from the other night even; of Stefan and I curled up together on his bed in his room.

"I think we need to talk about these." He uses his finger to point at the photos.

The End of the Road

I look out through the small window on the plane frowning. The last 24hours have been a whirlwind, leaving my head spinning and resulting in my return home. It's the end of June (the 26th to be precise); and it's crazy to think I've only been here 3, nearly 4 months; so much has happened and yet it's hardly any time at all...

Funny really. It wasn't that long ago I wanted nothing more than to go home, and even less time ago that I was telling Stefan to send me home. Yet now, sat on this plane, I can't help but wish I was still at the Palace; with Lexi, Dylan and Laura... and with Stefan. Closing my eyes, I decide to try to get some sleep before we land back in America; home sweet home.

It's over.

➰➰➰

24 hours ago

The photos capture a variety of the moments Stefan and I have stolen together - alone - over the last couple of months.

"I'm sorry Miss Princeton. But it is forbidden for any relationship, of this nature, to develop during this stage of the selection. And so, it is with regret that I must ask you to leave. There'll be a jet waiting room take you back, you have until tomorrow. At noon, there'll be a taxi waiting to take you home. On behalf of England, I thank you for your cooperation Miss Princeton."

I can't help the wave of anger that washes over me at his words. Angry that they'd made me come, against my will. Angry that I'd been dumb enough to fall for Stefan. Angry about Matilda. Angry at Stefan. Angry at myself.

"Isn't that the whole point of this selection? For you to cherry pick a bride. To force Stefan to marry someone he doesn't want just so the throne doesn't go to Damon?" The words flow freely from my mouth, my anger fuelling the fire and preventing me from actually stopping to think about what I'm saying.

"My my. Stefan has told you a lot hasn't he." The King purses his lips, narrowing his eyes at me. "Your time in England has come to an end. That is all. Thank you, Miss Princeton."

Taking a deep breath, I slowly stand. Glancing at the King I reluctantly duck into a half hearted curtesy. As I rise again, I can't stop the words that escape my lips. "She doesn't care about Stefan, or your people: Matilda. She only cares about herself; she doesn't give even one fig about caring for your country and its' people. And Stefan ... he deserves more. Better." Snapping my mouth shut, I make a speedy exit without waiting for a reply. Rushing from the room, I hurry away as my vision begins to blur.

I can't believe Damon... I'd almost forgotten the threat he'd made. It feels so long ago and he'd kind of faded into the background since the ball; and yet now this. It just seems so... out of the blue? What an earth provoked him? I don't know what his issue is but I do know when I next see him there's nothing stopping me saying what I really think about him. He can't exactly release the same photos again now can he. Maybe I'm just mad at myself for letting this happen. No, I shake my head. I'm not taking any blame for Damon and what he's done. I mean I am mad at myself but that's a whole other issue. Damon threatened us from the beginning; guess he's merely a man of his word...

"Rosie? You ok?" I look up to see Lexi still in my room. "Rosie? You're crying?" I don't even realise the tears are falling. Lexi rushes to her feet to envelop me in a hug. "What happened?!"