Part 44

INT. POLICE STATION – NIGHT

ROSENBURG storms into the station and ROCH looks at the politician in shock. ISABEL enters with a panicked look and her mouth drops at the sight.

ROSENBURG: Roch! What did I tell you about arrests?

Roch opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by Rosenburg.

ROSENBURG: We've got an election going on here. Protests in the streets. Calls for justice. They're saying people are being arrested under false pretences. Just under suspicions! I know what we've discussed in the past. Order has to be upheld for public safety. But I can't have you disturbing the peace of our elections over petty crimes!

Roch takes a deep breath.

ROCH CONT'D: Sir! There haven't been any arrests since we spoke, this I promise. There have just been some ruffians...in the streets. I think they're...worshipping something. It's fishy. Occult. They're messing around in places. Holding false ceremonies. If people see this out in public, they're not going to think you have a grip on public safety. It'll be Le Mort in a heartbeat.

Rosenburg slams a hand onto the nearby desk. The loud sound makes Isabel jump in shock.

ROSENBURG: I don't think you quite understand the gravity of the situation we're dealing with. My campaign is busy every day. This is my only free moment and I'm wasting it reprimanding you over this. I don't have time to go around cleaning up these public relations messes you're making.

Roch grits his teeth.

ROCH: With all due respect–

ROSENBURG (shouts): I don't want to hear it. If you're not going to stay in line while you're on duty, then you're not going to be on duty. I don't need some rogue cop on the watch. Consider yourself suspended for the time being.

Roch's face drops in shock. Isabel gives a small gasp but Rosenburg doesn't pay any attention.

ROCH: Suspended? But...but the city...the streets. Sir, I know there's something going on around here, something strange. There's a man we have under arrest, you should speak with him.

Rosenburg raises a hand to silence him.

ROSENBURG: I'm not interested in consorting with criminals. If some lunatic in a cell is howling to you, you learn to tune him out. That's how it is around here. Now get out of my police station.

ROCH: Fine. I won't give you the satisfaction of firing me. Because I quit.

Roch grabs his jacket from the nearby coat wrack and hastily puts it on.

ROCH CONT'D: I'll get to the bottom of this myself.

ROSENBURG: Enjoy the life of a P.I. then. We can always find a better cop. Maybe one who will listen properly.

Roch storms out of the room and Isabel stays silent. Rosenburg glances at her before he gives a long sigh.

ROSENBURG CONT'D: What a day, Isabel. First the campaign, now this. I tell you, Le Mort is a tough customer.

Isabel stands from her seat in protest.

ISABEL CONT'D: W-

ROSENBURG: Haven't had a challenge like this in years. Some in the campaign are a bit worried about his prospects.

ISABEL: I th-

ROSENBURG: I'm not. I can't imagine the majority of Elgin would vote for such a radical approach. They'd be sentencing themselves to death. Anyways, I'll see you Sunday at ma's.

Rosenburg leaves Isabel alone and her mouth is pressed into a tight line.

ISABEL: Doesn't let me get in a word as always, that damn stiff.

CUT TO:

EXT. POLICE STATION – NIGHT

GOAT MAN overlooks the station as ROSENBURG strolls onto the sidewalk. A smile slowly stretches across his face. A goat wanders onto the street, observing ROCH storming away in the opposite direction of Rosenburg.

GOAT MAN CONT'D: This is the beginning...

The goat bleats.

GOAT MAN CONT'D: Of an end.

CUT TO BLACK: