08 || E I G H T

"Ever wonder how difficult it is to manage human thoughts? Emotions?"

*

Out of all the androids in the street, the only one who looked at Mary's car as she slammed her foot down on the gas, was the droid with the gun. He pointed it at us, fired, and shattered the back window. Mary screamed, face pressed against the steering wheel. But I grabbed it, kept it steady. I made sure she didn't stop.

"Peter!" Wendy cried in my ear, never hanging up the call.

"Javi!" Mary shrieked beside me.

I looked at her before I looked back out the front window. Androids were everywhere. They ran out onto front lawns, in the streets. Some met the front of Mary's car. Because she didn't stop. I wouldn't let her.

"Keep driving, Mary," I said, voice calm. "Don't brake. Don't lift your foot."

An Android jumped out in front of the car, and landed on the hood, hands grasping at the sides to keep steady as we floored it. Mary screamed and pressed herself back against her seat. Even I jumped but kept my hands on the wheel. Yet, with it right in front of us, I was able to look at it.

It, and its bright red eyes.

Like Rory...

Its mouth opened, but no words left it. Just noise. Like broken feedback.

Wincing, I forced the steering wheel to the left, then the right. It held on tight. Its fingers dug into the sides, leaving dents in the car's frame. We locked eyes again, it's red to my brown. And I bared my teeth, growling.

"Javi!" Wendy screeched in my ear. Bangs sounded around her. What sounded like desks, like chairs, slid across a floor as I heard her whimper and hurry away. A pressure built in my chest and all I saw was red as I listened to her. "They're here! They're in here!"

Data upload failed. Reconnecting sensors. Retry?

With one hand still on the wheel, I reached over and gripped it with the other. Mary's head shot up, eyes wide, but I didn't look at her. I kept my face forward, at the droid who didn't let go. To Mary, I said, "Hold on tight."

To the droid out front, I shook my head. It reached its hand forward, fingers outstretched to the glass. The moment it let go, I forced the steering wheel to the far left, forcing the car into a sharp turn. Two tires lifted. The car cried in protest.

The droid struggled. Lost its grip. Its eyes widened as it slid off the hood, down onto the street, and when it crashed and rolled, I looked back. I watched its skin break, rip, and reveal the blue mechanics within. It lifted its injured head just before we were out of view, and I caught the bright stare one more time.

A chill shot up through my spine when Mary regained control of the car, openly crying as she shook her head. And once we were a block away, she lifted her foot, shaking all over. I didn't say anything as I gently pushed her out of the front and into the back seat, all while the car continued on a slow roll. Her foot lifted off the gas pedal and mine replaced it; her hands moved away, mine took its place. At ten and two, I gripped the wheel and looked ahead, at the empty streets that echoed with its own unnatural calm.

"Wendy?" I pressed down on the gas and pushed the car forward faster than it could recover. The tires screeched. "Wendy, are you there?"

There was nothing. Static. The call was connected, but she wasn't with it. My hands tightened around the steering wheel and the rubber bent under my grip. "Wendy?"

Silence.

I turned onto the next street. "Lost Girl?"

"Communications lost. Redial?"