ii. davenport kidnapping, part two

┏━━━━━⋆☆⋆━━━━━┓CHAPTER TWO

┏━━━━━⋆☆⋆━━━━━┓
CHAPTER TWO.
DAVENPORT KIDNAPPING:
PART TWO
┗━━━━━⋆☆⋆━━━━━┛

A THICK SILENCE HUNG IN THE AIR as Evangeline softly tapped her fingers against her knee. Her, Morgan and Hotch were currently waiting in the car, parked in a spot at a rental car lot. Reid had told them that the ransom drop was going to happen there. Cheryl sat in her yellow Volkswagen Beetle, just barely visible to Evangeline's eyes. "You know my guess?" Morgan started, breaking the silence, "One of these cars has a set of keys already in the ignition with a disposable cell phone sitting right in it."

"—So she switches cars and phones," Hotch said.

"Mm-hmm," Morgan mumbled, letting out a sigh and checking his watch, "5 minutes." Evangeline furrowed her eyebrows together, suddenly finding herself deep in thought. "He's probably gonna have her drive around for over an hour just to make sure no one's following her."

Hotch nodded, "And then the ransom drop." Evangeline suddenly grabbed onto the back of Hotch's seat, grabbing his attention.

"Something's not right about this," she told the two, "What if he was watching us—or listening to us?"

Hotch shook his head, "The local office did a bug sweep."

"But that ransom call," Evangeline trailed off, biting her bottom lip, "It was way too simple." Hotch then realized just how close she actually was to him. Pieces of her wavy hair tumbled over the side of the seat and onto his shoulder, and her peach-colored nails gripped onto the leather, practically brushed up against his suit. She had a distinct smell; almost like a fresh coconut scent that drowned him completely.

Hotch cleared his throat lightly, "All right, you're the unsub. What would you have done differently?" Evangeline thought for a moment before speaking.

"I would have said don't involve the police or the media. $500,000. No consecutive serial numbers on the bills. No marked bills. No new bills. No tracking devices in the money bag. No tracking devices in the car," She trailed off, and she could go on and on. Hotch knitted his eyebrows together.

"Why didn't he say any of this?" He questioned. It was as if right then in that very moment, a lightbulb went off in her head.

"This was never about the money," Evangeline said, feeling her heart drop to the pit of her stomach.

Hotch quickly caught onto her theory, "It's not a ransom drop."

Evangeline met his gaze, her blue eyes widening, "It's a second kidnapping." Morgan and Hotch immediately hopped out of the car, causing her to do the same. "Cheryl!" Evangeline yelled, causing the blonde to immediately turn in her direction.