Prove It

Lee's heart flew and his chest felt light all over again. He hadn't seen his sister in months, and all of the thrill of seeing her sent his arms up int he air as he shouted her name loud and clear.

Kiki bounded to her feet at the sound. Her hair was pulled back in a high ponytail that bobbed when she walked forward, her smile bright and wide. "Lee!" she said, giggling as she slammed into him. She jumped, feet sweeping off of the ground.

Lee swung her around. His eyes were wide, his heart still frozen in shock from finding her there, outside of Manley Hall. When he set her down, he held her at arm's length and shook his head, mouth ajar. "How did you...?"

"I took a bus," she said, smiling. "I left my phone at home to throw Sen off my trail."

She leant over, peering around Lee. Lee glanced back at where Rushil was just now approaching, a bit out of breath. Rushil waved and said, "Hey, I'm Rushil—Lee's friend."

"Future roommate," Lee added, dropping his hands to pull Rushil over by the shoulder. Rushil laughed.

Kiki put her hand out to him. "Nice to meet you, Rushil, friend and future roommate," she said. She gave him a firm shake and said, "Any friend of Lee's is a friend of mine."

She leant back and pushed her sunglasses back and, likewise, tucked a loose braid behind her ear. Her bangs were fluffy and combed neatly to one side, framing her bright, steely blue eyes. Lee felt compelled to hug her again, so he did, squeezing her tightly around the shoulders. She tucked her cheek to his shoulder, her hands settling lightly on his back.

Kiki's hair smelled like home, and Lee closed his eyes against the aroma of lavender incense and the warmth bubbling in his chest. "I missed you too," she said, patting his shoulder.

"What're you doing here?" he said, leaning back.

She went back to the bench and sat down. Lee ducked down beside her. He had too much energy to sit still on a bench, so Rushil took her other side and put his elbow on the backrest, facing Kiki as she scratched a finger against her cheek and smiled weakly.

"Well... I wanted to talk to you," she said. She pouted then and muttered, "And Ma has been more unbearable than usual. I needed to get out of the house."

She glanced at Rushil, who leant his head against his hand and said, "Oh, don't worry about me. I'm all caught up."

"Sen came to visit me," Lee said. Kiki turned back, eyes wide in surprise. Her ponytail flicked back and smacked Rushil in the face. As Rushil sputtered and flicked hair out of his mouth, Lee said, "How was the USFC Law entry exam?"

Kiki gave a firm nod and said, "It went well. I turned in my essay last month and they were quick to get back to me."

"Are you... seriously planning on attending?" he asked.

Kiki tucked her hands between her legs, shoulders pushed up to her ears. She looked guiltily out to the water and said, "I don't know... I just really want to go to school here and be with you."

"Aw..." Rushil sang. Both Kiki and Lee turned to look at him, and Rushil turned away, cheeks puffed out, "What? That was really sweet..."

"You shouldn't pick your major based on whether or not it'll be paid for," Lee told her. "I thought you were into psychology?"

"I am!" she insisted, only to wither a little. "It isn't that I'm not interested in criminal justice. I really like prison psychiatry, so I'm thinking that if I go into criminal law, I'll get to go back to school for psychiatry."