Chapter XIV.

Augustus brushes Salma's hair, she sat in between him and she rested her head tirelessly against his thigh. They left Maine and Salma became unexpectedly and incredibly ill sick. Augustus has been with her and he hasn't gone into to work at all.

Augustus rubs her back as she whined. She was so pale looking and she just didn't look like Salma, he hasn't seen her big smile and she hardly hasn't ate anything so it was killing him because when someone refuses to eat it's something serious. Salma has a serious flu or virus but it was even more critical for her because she can't get sick. It becomes life threatening because her immune wasn't strong especially being a cancer survivor.

Salma weakly wraps her arm around Augustus leg as her eyes were closed, he softly brushes her hair. "You okay?" He questioned and Salma shakes her head as she began to cry. "No, my body hurts and I'm trying to get better for you, your Fall party and the girls because they wanted to come to stay with us that weekend then I'm gonna meet your mother tonight and I don't even look or feel presentable." Salma sniffled and Augustus wipes her face, he truly felt terrible for her because she just wanted to get better but it wasn't looking like it would be any time soon.

Augustus kisses her head and he sighs. "I know, liebling, I want you to get better too and we can just not go to the party and we will stay here. My Mom knows you're sick and she already brought her book of recipes to get you better so you don't have to doll yourself up or fake being well. I send her pictures of you all the time, she knows how you look when you're well." Augustus assured her and Salma let's out a moan, Augustus rubs her back because he felt the same way. He was gonna propose to her in front of everyone and it was gonna be magical but he was just gonna have to hold it off which was something he didn't want to do but hopefully, she was better by then.

Salma continues to cry because her being sick was just ruining everything, she hated her weak immune system but it honestly was never her fault, she blamed cancer.

Augustus stops brushing her hair and he picks her up, he holds her and he wipes her face. "Hey... it's okay, it's not your fault Salma." Augustus assured her as he rocks side to side, rocking her like a baby and Salma stopped crying, he watches her rub her back and rock her. She couldn't help but smile. "And you say you won't be a good Dad." Salma chuckles as she wipes her face, she truly believes that he would be.

"I love you and I know you're sick but I will drop you." Augustus tells her and Salma smacked her lips, just as she was about to give him a snarky remark she paused and she looks at him. Augustus was steady rocking her and rubbing her back, he has no idea that he told her that he loved her and she smiles as she stares at him. Augustus looks down and he cracks a smile. "What are you smiling about?" Augustus questioned and it was refreshing to see her smile. "You... told me that you loved me." Salma smiles at him and Augustus nodded, he smiles ans he looks down because he honestly thought it was intriguing because he told himself that it wasn't right if he had to force himself to tell someone that he loved them, it came naturally. "Because I do, I really do. I've been on this earth for twenty-six years and I've never been this happy in my entire life." Augustus smiles and Salma hugs him, she wanted to kiss him so badly but she didn't want to spread her cooties. "I love you." Salma whispered to him and he hugs her, his face buried into her neck and he kisses her shoulder.

Salma felt so warm and it wasn't just the fever.

Augustus makes her go lay in bed and he agrees to make her some soup. Augustus comes down the hall, walking steadily with the bowl of soup.

"Shania... I honestly wasn't expecting it and it came so naturally from him that I just wanted to cry even though I was already crying a lot. I... did tell him, I do love him. Yeah and I'm honestly happy. If it weren't for you then I would have never met him. Shy, you're the best sister ever and when we do get married I want you to be my maid of honor. Jesus you sound so ugly when you cry, please, stop that. You're really changed both of our lives because I never thought I would meet someone who so perfect.. why is he so perfect? Is he even real." Salma giggles at the end then it was followed by a cough.