Chapter 2

(Tobias Eaton above)

When the door closed I took the chance to look around the room. It was empty other that a chair, a simple table with a computer on it and the man standing by them. What really caught my eye was the wall. It was a mirror.

I hadn't seen my reflection for years. When I cut my hair I wasn't allowed to use our so I hadn't known how my face had changed since I'd seen it last.

My face had become sharper and my cheeks were more defined. My hair which was once a dirty blonde darkened into a chocolate brown. My eyes were the same, that same blue that I shared with my father and brother. I seemed taller and more lean. Not that you could really tell in my clothes.

I stared until I was interrupted by the man speaking.

"I know you abnegation don't look in mirrors but could you hurry it up and finish so we can get this over with" he said in an exasperated tone.

I say nothing and just go to the chair and sit down. He hands me a vial of some sort with a blue liquid inside.

"Drink up" is all I get from him. So I do.

I close my eyes and when I open them he's gone. Everything is gone and I'm standing before two bowls. One with cheese and one with a gun. "Choose" is all I hear after a moment of staring. I think and grab the gun. Whatever is coming I wanted to be able to defend myself.

Moments after I grab the gun the bowls disappear and I hear a growl behind me. I turn around to see a huge dog standing there, muscles coiled, ready to leap at me. I stand still not wanting to harm it at first but then it attacks and I react. I lift the gun and shoot. It falls instantly and doesn't get back up.

The gun disappears from my hand and in a flash I'm somewhere else. I'm on a train that's empty, or would be if there wasn't a single man sitting in the middle of the car. He spots me and makes his way over to me .

"Do you know this man?" He asks frantically as he shoves a newspaper in my face. There's a man in chains with the title "MURDERER APPREHENDED" I look at the man and say nothing.

"You could save me! Do you know him?" He asks again shoving the newspaper in my face again as if I need to get a closer look. Even if I could speak I wouldn't say yes, even though I have this nagging feeling that I did in fact know the man. So I just stare at him as he continued to ramble until I blink and he disappears.

Next thing I know I'm waking up in the chair and the man is just staring at me. I just look at him waiting for my results when he finally tells me.

"You got Dauntless" he looks at me in complete shock. Like how did this little girl from abnegation test for my faction. But all I can think is when Marcus finds out I won't be able to move after he got through with me.

After the shock of my result leaves my body I nod once to the man and get up and leave the room. I got back to the cafeteria and wait until the last person was done testing. We were all then told to go home and think about our results and what we are going to choose tomorrow, but to not discuss our results with anyone at all. Not even your closest friends or family.

I choose to walk back home, wanting the peace and quiet to think about what I was told. How I was told that according to the most important test I belong with dauntless, that I belong with my brother.

I get home before I know it and make my way inside. Marcus isn't home yet so I put my stuff into my room and begin dinner.  By the time he walks through the door the table is set and I'm setting his plate with food.

"Look at me" he says. So I do, and when my eyes meet his he asks me "Did you get abnegation?" And he could tell by the look in my eyes that I hadn't. I tried to hide the momentary look of fear on my face but he caught it and knew I had failed.

The look on his face promises punishment but he chooses to eat. I'm eating small bites just waiting for the moment he can't hide his anger anymore. And it happens just as I think he might do nothing with the ceremony being tomorrow. My stands so quickly his chair is thrown back. I flinch when he grabs my arms and throws me towards the living room.

As I hear his belt being undone and removed I know that my back is going to be gaining new scars. The first hit doesn't register for a few seconds. Then the burning hits me just as the second lash lands on my skin. I lose count how many time he whips me before he drops his belt.

"Clean is the kitchen before you go to bed" is all he says as he trudged up the stairs. I lay on the ground just trying to find the strength to get up. And when I do my movement are labored each one accompanied by a sharp stab of pain.

I eventually get done cleaning after an hour, something that usually took me 20 min. I practically drag myself up to bed and lay on my stomach. Not wanting to put any extra pressure on my wounds. It doesn't take long for me to succumb to my exhaustion and fall into a dreamless but painful sleep.