Chapter 14- Scrambled Eggs

Dovie

"So, how did you sleep?" I mumbled as Kol walked downstairs for breakfast.

"Like a baby," he smiled, walking towards me with the varsity jacket hung over his shoulder. "Thank you so much once again for letting me crash here for the past week."

My lips slowly curled into a small smile before I turned my attention back to the scrambled egg before me on the stove. "And thank you for making all of those delicious dishes for my family and myself."

"It was my pleasure," I felt him walking closer to me. "Need help with this?"

I shook my head, pulling out red pepper flakes. "No, I'm good. Today, I'll cook the only thing I know how-to for you."

"I feel special," he smiled, eyeing me closely as I made scrambled eggs for us.

I didn't reply back because I didn't know what to say. Simply, I stood there making the food whereas I felt his eyes on me. Not a single word came out of his mouth as he stared at me.

I didn't know how to feel but my insides were fluttering.

"You could take a seat at the dining table, I'll bring you the food," I suggested, glancing at his beautiful eyes.

"I don't wanna leave you alone," he muttered and stood against the counter, waiting for me to finish making his food. "I'll wait so we can eat together."

Okay then.

It didn't help me much that he was hovering over me like a shadow, watching my every move. It made me feel like I was dead if I messed up even a little bit.

"You know, your guest bedroom is the size of my friend's entire apartment," he finally broke the silence as I arranged the plates to serve for us. "I can't thank you enough."

"Lucky you, you're out of it," I served the scrambled eggs onto the plates and poured some orange juice into two cups. "You don't have to think about going back there now."

For a moment, he was quiet because we brought the plates and the cups to the dining hall. He took a seat right across from me, a seat where nobody sat because we were a family of four.

He dug into the food and so did I. I was starving since I woke up and eggs were perfect breakfast. "Mmm, this is so delicious."

"Why thank you!" I smiled and sipped on my orange juice. "It's the only thing that my mother has taught me."

Now that caused the unnerving silence between us in the dining hall.

"You don't... you don't seem close with your parents," he suggested, shocking me.

He has only been in my house for a week and he already noticed that.

"Why- why do you say that?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Ever since I started crashing at your place, I have barely heard you all exchange words. In the morning, they leave before we wake up. At night, you all have this quiet family dinner. The silence is nerve-wrecking," he pointed out. "Also, there's barely any family pictures of you three on the walls. Mostly there are paintings, but there's only a couple family pictures. Even in the family pictures, most of them are from your childhood which proves that you all were a happy family. Now, I can't really tell and it's not my place to say anything."

"Wow," I replied back after a moment.

He wasn't very off about any of those facts, in fact, he was quite right. Every single fact that he mentioned was true and I couldn't believe that it was that obvious but nobody seemed to notice it except from him.

"I'm sorry if I overstepped or said anything wrong. I- I didn't mean to—" he quickly apologized for his observation.

"—no, you didn't overstep," I quickly assured him and he breathed out in relief. "You're right about everything. We were happy and times were simpler before. They're just- they expect something from me and most times I deliver, like staying on top of everything. Nowadays, they are always working and I don't- I don't know how to communicate with them. They only talk to me when they need something or when I need something. It's- it's not entirely happy, but we're breezing right through it all."

"At least you have a family," he finally spoke and I realized that he said he was having some trouble in his house.

I felt terrible for mentioning it. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to bring that topic up."

"It's okay, I'm not that sensitive to the family topic," he smiled and so did I. "But, having a family is a blessing."

"Sometimes it's just not enough," I breathed out. "Can I- can I ask you what happened with yours?"

He sighed deeply and I realized what a mistake it was asking him that question. "I'm sorry, you don't have to tell me. I'm just- I'm very nosy sometimes. I like to know things and... I'm sorry."

Before I could apologize and take back my words, he spoke shocking me. "Druggie mother and drunk step-father. Not your scene, I know, but I was getting tired of cleaning up their messes which is why I stayed with a friend for the last year."

"Kol, I- I didn't know you were having trouble back at home," I spoke softly and he shrugged.

"It's not my home. I've never really had a home yet, but I'm working towards establishing one," he smiled. "I want to be able to call a house, my home. My first official home."

"I'm sure you'll get there soon," I pursed my lips and he continued eating.

We talked for a long time and it didn't even feel like a long time. It seemed as though time stood still when we were together and I liked it that way.

Slowly, my eyes traveled to the clock and my eyes widened in shock. "Oh God, we're late."

We started shuffling around to leave. "Our classes start in five minutes, we're so going to be late."

_______

Huffing and puffing, we made it to chemistry.

Kol knocked on the door as Mr. Willing opened it after a moment. His eyes scanned both of us and he opened the door further to let us in. "Nice of you both to join us Mr. Walsh and Ms. Pratt. Take a seat and pull out your notes."

Mr. Willing gave Kol a of-course-I-expected-this look, but he looked disappointed to see me come in late as well. He didn't say anything though, thankfully.

"I knew we should've walked, he would've reacted a little better," Kol whispered as both of us made our ways to the seats and sat down next to my friends where we usually sit down.

"He would've been more angry with us if we came in any more late," I whispered back, rolling my eyes.

"It was your scrambled eggs," he blamed me. "They were so delicious that I couldn't stop eating them."

"Fine, I won't make them anymore in the mornings."

"No," he debated against my suggestion. "Please make them, I love them."

I smiled and he had a small smile creep up on his face. He turned to face the front and so did I. Slowly, I pulled out my notes and felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned slightly to find Niti and Zoe smirking. "What's this all about?"

"What's what all about?" I whispered, pulling out a pen.

"You and Kol," Niti whispered back.

"There's nothing," I replied back, turning back to the front as Mr. Willing resumed teaching.

"Something is definitely going on and you will tell us soon," Zoe smirked as I blocked everyone out and only paid attention to Mr. Willing and his words.

_______

i am extremely sorry for updating so late. my exams are finished and finally i have some time on my schedule!

hopefully, you enjoyed the chapter!