Barren Field

Hello wonderful readers!

I hope you all had a nice day and that you enjoy this update.

✳     ✳     ✳

Monday brought frigid wind that seemed to howl outside her window.

For a few minutes, she stayed snuggled under the plush duvet.

Enid did not want to get out of bed.

Living with three of her professors made skipping class much more difficult, though.

Begrudgingly, she left her cozy haven and began to get ready for the day.

Putting on the thickest coat she could find, she headed downstairs to the kitchen.

Breakfast was its usual playful affair.

Dante made chocolate chip waffles for her while she giggled at a sleepy Alexander sipping coffee across the table.

He still looked like an angel, even with his blond curls in disarray.

Theodore drove her to school, his large hand settled on her thigh the whole ride.

She tried to pay attention to the autumn trees outside her window, but all she could focus on was the weight of his hand.

And how her skin tingled beneath it.

They walked to the Psychology building together, discussing the biography of Piaget she had just started.

His fingers brushing hers every so often as they walked.

The girls who sat behind her in the lecture hall were absent today, so Psychology flew by without a hitch.

After a quick stop in Theodore's office to check who was driving her back to the estate, she headed to the English department.

Enid was pulling her jacket tighter around her when a voice called out from behind her.

"Enid!" Turning, she found it was Emilia, cherry-cheeked and out of breath.

"Damn, you walk fast for having such short legs." Emilia dramatically panted.

"Maybe you're just slow." Enid giggled, walking in step with the other girl.

"Rude!" The girl playfully pushed her, "But what's even ruder is that you never called me!"

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I was meant to call you?" Enid tilted her head to the side in confusion.

"I sent you a text saying to call me. I found a huge lead!" Emilia exclaimed, pointing to the phone in Enid's hand.

Now more confused, she opened the messaging app and showed Emilia that the last text she had received from her was around a week ago.

"Oh, strange. It said it had delivered on my phone. I guess it just didn't go through." The tan girl shrugged, tucking her arm into Enid's.

Enid worried her lip, something felt off.

Maybe she was just feeling strange from the encounter with that man this weekend.

"So, what is the lead?" She asked her as they entered the building and sighed at the blast of heat that enveloped them.

"I found out that the Fraternity Patrick was in is the same as this guy I hooked up with last semester. I grabbed lunch with him on Saturday and he told me that apparently there was some stuff that the frat was hiding from the police about the case." Emilia said lowly as they entered the empty classroom.