14

Chapter Fourteen | What's Your Baggage

"I can't believe you're in a play." Imani said for the thirteenth time today, and I tried to tune her out as I entered my locker combination.

Stuffing my books in my locker neatly, I closed it and let out a sigh. "I'm not actually in the play. I'm just helping with the set up." I corrected.

Imani hazel eyes softened to a sympathetic gaze as I leaned my back against the row of lockers. Placing a comforting hand on my shoulder she said, "And the fact that you have to do with Asher, I'm praying for you babe."

I exhaled a sigh. "He isn't the only nuisance I have to deal with. There's also a few other students in there that seem to have this weird obsession with me as well." I said.

The school bell suddenly rung over us, and I felt my inside churn at the sound. Imani must've noticed the fallen look on my face, her pale hand founds it way onto my shoulder. "It's going to be okay Liam. Once you go in there, just ignore them and it'll be over before you know it." She tried to comfort, but it was doing the complete opposite for me.

I only exhaled a sigh at her words, before I began to make my way towards the theater room.

"Text me, okay?" Imani shouts from behind, and I mentally cursed at her for being so loud. I decided to respond with a piercing eye glare, but Imani didn't seem to notice because she started to wave frantically once our eyes met.

Why do I put up with her, again?

••••

I walked into the theater room five minutes early like I did the day before. However, this time I wasn't the first to arrive. There were a bunch of students and staff members walking around doing things. A group of students stood on the stage rehearing lines, the choir and band practiced towards the side of the room, and some people walked around with hands filled with supplies. It was overwhelming, honestly. 

I looked around for Director Greene in the midst of all this chaos, but I couldn't find the curly haired man anywhere. I begin to make my way towards the front of the room, but I'm interrupted when I feel someone stomp on the back of my shoe causing me to stumble over my own feet.

"What the-" I quickly whipped around to the culprit that almost just cost me my life, and I'm not even the slightest bit surprised when I see it's Asher.

"Watch where you're going." He kissed his teeth, and I titled my head at him, my lips up turning into a scowl. "You stepped on my shoe dumbass."