35

Loving him more!

The land beneath me slipped away and all I could hear was Matt's and Mr. Steele's worried voices. Mr. Steele shook my almost lifeless body and asked what happened and why was I suddenly so pale. On hearing no response from me, he picked up the phone that has fallen down on the ground and pulled it to his ear.

"What the fuck did you tell her?!" His angry voice boomed through the room and I was only hoping that he would suddenly start laughing and say it was a prank all along, but he never did.

It was all true.

Sam was kidnapped.

And I could do absolutely nothing about it then to rely on the police officers.

"How did that happen?! What were you doing when he got kidnapped?" His angry voice echoed through the room.

"Did you report to the police?" He asked and the way how he was calm after Matt replied, I considered the answer to be positive.

"Okay, get on here, quickly." With that said he ended the call and sat beside me, giving me a side hug and chanting all the soothing words in my ear as I continued sobbing.

"They were in a park when someone slammed a rod on Matt's head from behind." He said, but I couldn't even mutter a single oh, because I was in desperate pain. Pain of my son being kidnapped, pain of Matt being in pain because of me, pain of not being able to have been a good mother.

Few minutes later, I was still in the same position as Mr. Steele made some phone calls. He was angry to say the least and it made my heart smile that he was putting all his efforts to find my son, when he could have just ignored it considering how I was not even his girlfriend.

Just then, the door opened and came Matt, looking disheveled. He had various scratches on his head and his shirt had various dirt stains. As he walked towards me, I noticed how he was limping and not walking normally. He had a handkerchief tied around his calf and it didn't take rocket science to figure out as to why it was red.

I immediately rushed towards him and made him sit on the couch. Then I asked Mr. Steele if he had any first aid box and luckily, he had one right in one of the bottom drawers. I quickly made my way to get the first aid box before clearing all the dirt from his forehead and bandaging it where required.

"Are you okay?" I whisper-asked and he nodded his head, giving me a small smile, but even his universal smile couldn't hide the pain that he was carrying.

"Why is your leg bleeding then?" I asked, concern all over my face.

"It's nothing you should worry about Enna. I'm okay, stop worrying about me." He replied.

"It's not nothing, Mattie, you are hurt, you are bleeding and it's all because of me. I am so sorry!" I managed to choke out in between the sobs that I was trying to control so hard. I did not want to break down and I did not want to cry, but I just could not help myself.

"Hey, Enna, if there's anyone who should be sorry then it's me. I am sorry that I couldn't save Sam, I am sorry that I let you down and I am sorry to not take proper care of him." He caressed my face and planted a small kiss on my forehead.

I gave him a tight hug and sobbed through his shirt before slapping his chest, "Don't you ever dare say that you let me down. I don't think I would have been able to take care of Sam without you. You tried your best."

"Maybe I should have tried harder."

"It was all destined, it's not your fault." I said and hugged him again.

"It's not your fault either, Enna. Stop taking the blame all over yourself." I knew he was trying to act strong, but he was breaking inside. His voice gave it all away. Sam was his son as much as he was mine considering how he grew up along with us and not just me and I also knew that as much as he was trying to make me believe as to how none of it was my fault, he was not believing himself.

I could see the guilt in his eyes.

I could feel it.

"Police has found the car in which Sam was taken, I am sure they will find him soon."

"W-What if, what if they treat him b-badly?" I voice came out stuttered and full of fear.

"Nothing is going to happen to him, you hear me? Absolutely nothing." Mr. Steele assured and I gave him a sad smile.

He was behaving like a true gentleman and I had never seen this side of him. Day after day, I could see a new page of him which was making me fall for him more and more and I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad.

"Fuck." Matt muttered in a low tone, but it was loud enough for all of us to hear it.

"What happened?" His voice held pain and too much of it.

"N-Nothing."

"Matt!"

"I got shot Enna." A gasp escaped my lips and I slapped his arm, angrily, tears running down my cheeks.

"How could you be so careless Matt?! Why didn't you go to the doctor before coming here?"

It was all my fault.

"Nothing is more important than you, Enna."

"You are an idiot. Let's get you to the hospital." I ordered him and made him stand, when Mr. Steele spoke,

"I'll take you guys to the hospital." His eyes lingered more than necessary on my hands that were holding Matt's arm and shoulders and his eyes darkened accordingly, but unlike all the other times where he openly showed his anger, he kept quiet and walked out of the door, not before saying,

"I'm going to quickly take the car out, meet you guys by the entrance. Don't be late."

"Thank you, Aaron."

••••••••

Single or taken?

Single or taken?