Chapter eleven: Earthquake

Lucifer was absolutely elated when he heard the news. This day couldn't get any better and he could feel his excitement bubbling within him. He was with the human boy when Abigor brought up the news to him. The large man burst into his room without knocking and Lucifer was ready to lash out and punish him but the demon simply ignored the potential ass beating, and said, "I can't wait to tell you this." Abigor's face was set with a wide grin and his brown eyes stared at Lucifer, prompting him to ask what he wanted to say with a wiggle of his eyebrows. The devil felt his eye twitch in irritation; besides him was Jeremy who looked at the two dominant males with curiosity. "What's going on?" He asked. Abigor's eyes snapped to his, as if he just remembered that he existed.

"There has been a big— and I mean big— like gigantic—" Abigor started but was cut off by Lucifer who snapped, "get to the point."

"Earthquake. There has been a gigantic earthquake on earth and thousands are expected to die! Luci, this is great, do you know how many souls we'll get to torture?" He rambled, staring expectantly at the devil. "Call me that again and I'll leave you in the river of Styx to die." That shut Abigor up, "Apologies, my lord." Even though Abigor and Lucifer were friends, he often tolerated his right hand's behaviour but he still demanded respect and loyalty at all times. Pet names were a definite no-go.

When Lucifer managed to forget about the nickname, he really started to think about what he had said. He didn't even realise that a wide grin had spread across his face, and Jeremy couldn't help but think that he should smile more. "This is great news, Abigor!" The human boy didn't understand why they were so happy when people were dying, so he decided to ask, "Why are you so happy about this?"

The devil turned to him, his grin still intact, "I forget that you're an unknowing innocent. It's great news because a lot of new people will join my realm. Hopefully some politicians and soldiers will die; they're always great assets when they become demons."

"Become demons?" Jeremy asked. Lucifer nodded, "We say that humans get tortured for eternity but technically that's wrong, it just feels like an eternity—" Jeremy shuddered in remembrance, immediately agreeing with this, "— So when they've been tortured long enough, all that is good is completely removed from them and they'll go in training to become demons. In the beginning they're unruly and unreliable but with the proper training, the result is stunning."

"They tend to keep some values from their human life, so that's why we sought out specific people," Abigor added, wanting to end this conversation. Lucifer nodded and said, "I'll be gone for a while so do whatever you want but stay inside at all times." Jeremy wouldn't even dare to cross the devil so he agreed to this without any arguing.

The two large men then proceeded to leave the royal mansion, leaving Jeremy alone. He couldn't believe how much had happened the past few days and it almost felt like watching a movie. A rumbling in his stomach brought him out of his thoughts and into the present. The kitchen wasn't too far away, if he remembered correctly, so he entered the hallway to hunt down food. Guards eyed him weirdly, having seen him hang out with the devil a bunch of times, but said nothing as he walked past them.

He suddenly felt very paranoid, like somebody was following him but when he looked around, the hallway was empty except for a few stray guards. He picked up his pace and turned a sharp left, having no clue where he actually was. He considered asking a guard for directions but he felt too paranoid to stop walking. Suddenly he heard footsteps following him and he didn't dare to turn around, and instead picked up his pace even more, practically running through the castle halls.

He felt a hand on his should, pulling him to a stop, "Why are we running?" A voice said, totally out of breath. "Whew! I need to get in shape, yeesh." He faintly recognised the voice and turned around to a slightly familiar boy doubled over. Jeremy's eyes were wide, his breaths leaving him in sharp gasps, "Why are you following me?" He straightened his back, "Because you ran as if someone was following you! I don't want to die so I ran too."

"I did run because someone was following me— You were!" He pointed. The other boy looked around him and started laughing, "All of this exercise has made me hungry, c'mon." He beckoned for him to follow so he did. They walked in silence until Jeremy finally remembered who the boy was, "Doriani, right?"

"Yessir, and you're the talk of the castle, Jeremiah," Doriani said in a deep voice before cracking up again. "Ohhhh I'm so hungry, I hope my mother already cooked something because I can't be asked to make anything and I am starving."

"Yeah, me too," he agreed. Doriani hopped around a little, "Really? What do you want?" He asked but never gave the chance for his companion to reply, "I could really eat some fries right now, oh or nachos, or maybe a burger. No, I know, I want ice cream, yeah that's it," he smacked his lips together, "With a milkshake and fries of course... maybe some chips too since I'm getting diabetes anyway." Jeremy smiled, clearly amused by the boy, "That sounds great." Doriani looked up at him with big innocent eyes and said in a dreamy voice, "Yeah, I think so too." Despite Doriani being slightly older than Jeremy, Jeremy almost felt older than him because he rayed a childlike innocence. "So why are you out here alone anyway?"

"Lucifer has to make some demons," he furrowed his eyebrows, "Or something." Doriani nodded continuously, "Yep, heard about the earthquake, cool right?" His facial expession made Jeremy almost feel rude by not agreeing, "Um... Well no, I don't like when people die."

Doriani snorted, "You're funny. You don't like when people die, ha!" When Jeremy's face remained wary, the boy realised that he wasn't joking, "Ew, you don't like catastrophes?" The younger boy shook his head. Doriani huffed, "And here I thought we could be friends." By now they were nearing the kitchen and Jeremy felt a sense of panic rise at the thought of not having him as a friend. Hell could get lonely, especially when Lucifer was busy.

"I can make you some food?" He questioned and bit his lip. His eyes immediately brightened, "Great, bestie! And later, Lord Lucifer can teach you to kill people!" Jeremy's eyes widened but nodded anyway to keep the not-so-innocent-anymore demon happy. They entered the kitchen and Jeremy immediately winched when he remembered the massive hangover he got the day after their drinking feast.

Jeremy cooked up a lot of different dishes for the two of them and Doriani happily munched down his foods, combining them in weird combinations. It looked disgusting but the demon was happy and so was Jeremy. The two of them talked and laughed until every little bit of food was gone. They rubbed their overfilled stomachs and sighed in contentment.

"I'm bored, let's go outside," Doriani said after a while of silence and stood up. Jeremy immediately shook his head, "Lucifer told me to stay inside."

"My Lord will be gone all day, if not for multiple days, so we'll be back before you know it." Jeremy contemplated his question. He really wanted to go outside and see how Hell really functioned, and if Lucifer wouldn't find out then...

"Alright then," was the last words spoken before Doriani squealed and led him out the backdoor.

___

I'm most likely mixing religions and mythologies together but yeah just go with the flow lol, if I ever edit this then I'll do a better research on the topic and change some stuff.

As always, thank you so so so much for reading, it means the world to me!