- PART 22 -

CEDRIC

CEDRIC

~

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN better. I drew the shorter piece— I know I did. But, she ripped hers. She made sure she would be the one to compete. I couldn't help but just watch— what was I supposed to do? Show she cheated— she'd get disqualified or a penalty.

Then again, maybe that was for the best. It'd mean she'd be out of harm's way— even if she hated me. But, I can't let Theo hate me. So, I just let her go.

Cho pulled me away immediately after, arms wrapping around my neck. "Ced," 

I felt numb. The lovey-dovey bubble we'd been in since the Yule Ball suddenly popped. I pulled away, looking at my hands. Thoughts of Doe ran through my head— images of her beaten up or dead filling my mind. What protection could the school— hell, the Ministry —ensure when she was underwater.

I should have done something.

"Cedric?" Cho asked, eyes filled with hurt. Hurt. Cho was hurt— but I was in pain. "Why do you care so much about Theodosia?"

I stared at her, stepping back. What?

She reached for me. "I just— you two were holding hands— "

"She's my best friend, Cho." She was my— she was Doe. "She's the closest thing I have to a sister— "

"Then why do you hold her hand— "

"Because I need to make— . . . I need to make sure she won't leave. . . " I cried, running a hand through my hair. "Theo is a bomb waiting to go off— and I need to make sure I'm there to clean up the wreckage afterward. Like I always am."

"Cedric— "

"She's my sister— okay? She's my sister."

I backed away from her, nearly crashing into McGonagall. Straightening my robes, I fought the redness climbing up my neck, embarrassment replacing my anger. "Uh— sorry, Professor."

"Mr. Diggory— your presence is required by the Judges tent."

I nodded, looking back at Cho only once. Crap

I followed McGonagall, realizing how much I'd messed up. Doe was rubbing off on me— at least, her anger was.

I liked Cho a lot— maybe even loved her. Sure, that was premature and I'd wait the appropriate sixth to eight months before telling her— but, I cared a lot for Cho. She was different than the previous short flings I'd had. But, no matter what, I wouldn't stop caring about Doe. She was my friend— family by now.

And somehow, I'd let her and Cho down in under an hour.

__

(A/N: Really short chapter420 words-ish. I just wanted to give you guys a bit of Cedric, since he won't really be active in the Task now. I'll try to update again by this weekend, thanks for reading and all of the love. Also, if you want to submit a cover for my next book, please PM me.)