Chapter One Hundred & Eleven | Fourth World

[ 111 ]

It was only three days later when the first snow of winter came. The circulating breeze was harsh and would sweep-up any person standing without the necessary protection. Slaves were granted more fabrics to cover their bodies, which were normally all but visible aside from one or two pieces intended to hide vital areas. But Finch proved luckier than most.

He was given a sturdier piece of fur, which Hawk taught him how to make into a wearable cloak. It all but drowned his small stature, but since he was practically skin and bones, he was grateful. Over the days, he found his body had been excessively shaking when walking around. The pathetic linen skirt did nothing to protect him.

Everyone knew he was the main element of the up and coming ceremony. So they knew he wasn't just a slave. But he also wasn't a legitimate member of the clan that was to be treated specially. So everyone just accepted that he was the potential future Chieftain's helper. And since he had worked tirelessly to save the man's life, he deserved the furs to keep him warm.

As for everyone else, even though exceptions were made and slaves were also entitled to some warmth, it was inevitable that there would be casualties. And Finch struggled to cope, witnessing the weak drop like flies. But he had begrudgingly accepted that unlike in the previous world, he was no longer a doctor. He couldn't run around trying to save everyone, it just wasn't possible in the harsh world which was either sink or swim.

And the Chief's answer to it all was his utter belief in the ceremony. He was convinced the benevolent god was displeased with the clan. So the pressure on making the whole event dedicated towards him, was ramped up. It unnerved Finch, who had no clue what being in his position entailed, and how he had little to no information.

He found himself planning on many occasions, to escape, but always decided against it. He was around who he needed to be around, in the setting which was undoubtedly testing him. If he ran for the hills, he had an inkling it would result in failure.

Given his frail form, it wouldn't be long before he contracted hypothermia. Along with the unknown factors of surrounding clans and potential predators trying to get their fill before hunkering down for the worst of the winter's weather. So he decided to stick with the safety in numbers theory.

Which is seemingly what the Chief also thought, as he supported Hawk's suggestion and decided that no more hunting parties would be sent out. They were more than capable of providing for themselves through the harshness of the oncoming months, as they had advanced since the days of hunting and gathering solely for food. Instead various plant-life was being nurtured, albeit with little success given the frost, and also cattle.

The confidence in their leader resulted in the followers' normal anxieties around this time of the year being thwarted. On top of their potential future Chief's gradual recovery.

Hawk gradually grew stronger, his leg recovering but not able to hold his weight. Even with the use of crutches, he ensured he was as visible as he once was. Finch was aware of how big of a threat Falcon posed, and was silently urging Hawk onwards. But it was well known within the clan, that the idea of safe-keeping the member's and using the stock they already had, was an idea put across by Hawk.

He was already respected, but the clan's members felt like he cared. They viewed Hawk's action of giving Finch a fur to keep warm, as a symbol of his generosity. A far cry from how they perceived the Chief's other son to be.

When Finch stepped out of Hawk's hut, one which he had pretty much called his temporary home, he took in a big breath of the brisk morning air. Although it was a blessing to keep warm, the smoke which encapsulated the small space made it stifling. So even though it was beneficial for Hawk, who was asleep after Finch helped him with some leg exercises, Finch himself couldn't breathe.