Bye-Bye Mansley

Dean was stood outside his house, stretching in his robe before sipping the coffee from the steaming mug. Over the rim of his beverage, he spots an approaching jeep. He smiled. ''Okay.'' And sipped his coffee.

The jeep-driving soldier drove up to Dean's scrapyard. Hogarth, (Name) and Annie were in one of them. Kent exited the jeep, slamming the door harder than necessary, a satisfactory smirk on his face as he proudly strode up to Dean.

''Alright, where is it?'' Kent demanded. Dean pulled a confused face.

''Where's what?''

Kent's face quickly filled with rage, his face reddening, ''You know darn well what! The monster! The giant thing! The metal man!''

Dean smiled, nodding slowly in realisation, ''Ahh, the metal man,'' he chuckled. ''Geez, you were scaring my there for a second - I thought I was under attack or something! He's out back, come on, I'll show you.''

As Dean walked away, a look of astonishment crossed Kent's features at how well Dean was co-operating. The General looked slightly more annoyed, however. They all followed after Dean, Hogarth and (Name) sharing a quick, smug look; they knew what was coming.

Dean holds up a stack of keys, slowly going through them to find the one he needed. ''You guys got here just in time. This rich cat, you know, some industrialist, wants him for the lobby of his company. He whipped out his check book right out on the spot! I said, 'Hey, man, you've got him for the rest of your life. But, what? I've got to let go the moment I give birth?' I mean, c'mon, give me some time to cut the umbilical cord, man,'' He rambled.

Dean finally opened the door, entering first, quickly followed by an eager Kent as well as everyone else.

''There his is,'' Dean said with fake pride as he beamed, gesturing towards the giant statue of a metal man, some odd bits of junk - excuse me, I meant art - handing off him, not like when (Name) and Hogarth last saw him. Kent, after barging past everyone, gaped at the giant structure.

''Anyway, I haven't actually sold him yet - so if you really want him and if you, ya know, through in a competitive bid. . .''

Kent nervously turned towards the General. ''Sir, listen-''

''Step outside, Mansley.''

Kent frowned but straightened up and nodded anyway, ''Yes, sir.''

Hogarth and (Name) smiled, watching Kent get reprimanded by the General: ''You realise how much hardware I brought out here! You just blew millions of Uncle Sam's dollars out of your back-side!''

''It's a shame he doesn't rip off the logo's on Kent's fore-arms.'' Hogarth turned to (Name), a quizzical look on his face. She rolled her eyes, smiling fondly, ''That's a dishonourable discharge.''

By the doors, Annie and Dean were talking again. ''I gotta admit, I'm relieved that this is what Hogarth and (Name) were talking about. I mean, I was beginning to think it was real.'' Dean nodded, chuckling as Annie continued. ''I mean, don't get me wrong, I like it! But, um, do you need all this stuff on the surface?'' She asked.

Dean chuckled awkwardly, ''Well, um, no actually.''

''Well. . . It just sort of - it seems kind of slapped on. You know, it's not as thought out as. . .'' She trailed off, looking around for an example, coming to stop in front of a tower of metal. ''This other piece.''

Dean smiled in surprise. ''You like that one?''

Annie smiled, gently trailing her hand along it, ''Yeah.''

Back outside, the General was beginning to wrap up his beat down on Kent. ''You'll be Chief Inspector of Subway toilets by the time I'm finished with you!''

The General turned around, cimbing into a jeep, ''Now pack up. I expect you back in Washington to clear out your office.'' He slams the door and points forward, silently commanding the soldier to drive away.

Kent, defeated, let his soldier sag as he looked at the ground, being left in the dust. ''Yes, sir.''

''Hmm,'' Annie hummed as Dean led her back outside. ''I see why the kids sneak out here.''

Dean smiled as they left the building, ''You know about that?''

''Now I do,'' She told him with a smile. She stops, turning around to see Giant smiling at her. She smiled back, closing the door behind her.

The kids were still watching all the jeeps leave through the window. Hogarth waved, ''Bye Kent, and all that implies.''