Fifty Six

tw: mention of suicide

"Come on? So nobody gonna come with me? I can't show up by myself".

Benjamin continues playing in Noah's hair, "It's not that I don't want to go, it's that I can't".

"Why not?"

"Dinner at my dad's house on Friday".

Lucas shrugs, "Shit. I can go". Noah nods and sits up, "Yeah, me too. I ain't got nothing to do".

Elly nods and smiles, "Dope...You?"

Gabi shrugs, "Yeah...I will go. Just text me the deets".

Elly chuckles and nods. "Sweet". She stands up and grabs her keys, "I'll be back".

Noah looks up, "Where are you going?"

"Get a form for basketball tryouts. Gotta go get my physical too". Elly daps up Noah and Lucas before nodding. "See ya at lunch".

*
Benjamin grabs on Noah's arm. "I'm gonna feel so like out!"

"Princesa... We're only going for Elly. I promise I won't drink, okay? Didn't really plan on it anyways"

"Okay...".

"Babe?? Are we having a trust problem?"

Benjamin shakes his head, "No. I just have never had a boyfriend and I don't know...Just scared of getting hurt".

Noah stops walking, turning to Benjamin. "I'm not gonna hurt you. I promise. And if I ever do, tell me, okay?"

Benjamin looks up at him, blushing. "Okay". Benjamin leans up and kisses Noah once.

Katen walks by gagging. "Fuckin' fags".

Noah snickers, "Says the one tryna fuck with a gay girl".

Katen shakes bus head, "You can't be one hundred percent gay. It's a fact".

"What? That's the dumbest shit I have ever heard". Noah shakes his head.

Katen shrugs, "Its the truth. No way a female has never once thought about dick...It's not possible".

Katen walks away and Benjamin and Noah began laughing. Noah shakes his head, mocking Katen. "You can't be one hundred percent-...shut up".

Benjamin giggles and grabs Noah's hand. "So ignorant. Damn, it's annoying".

Noah shakes his head, "He's fucking weird too. Why would he talk about Elly like that? It's disrespectful".

*
Elly shrugs, "Just going to shoot hoops all weekend. I'll be home before twelve".

Ana looks up from her paperwork, taking her glasses off."All week?"

"Yeah. Tryouts is next week. Also...I need you to come with me to the doctors to get my physical".

Ana rolls her eyes, looking back down. "You can't take yourself?"

"Nah, said I need someone ova eighteen with me".

Ana shakes her head, "Take your brother".

Elly nods, "You don't wanna take me?"

"I have better things to do Elenor, okay? You're not always a top priority".

Elly nods and grabs her keys. "Kay".

Ana turns, hearing Elly's keys jingle. "Hey! I wasn't trying to be mean-".

"Got it". Elly grabs her duffle bag and walks to her room. She slams the door shut and throws the bag down.

Elly shakes her head, wiping her eyes. She hears her phone go off, seeing Jazmyne had texted her.

Jason walks in, "Hey. Where's Elly? She got a package".

Ana looks up from her paper, pointing her pen to her bedroom. " She thinks I was being mean".

Jason hums, setting his keys down. He walks down the small hallway, knocking in Elly's door. "It's a Jason...Can I come in?"

Elly opens the door and smiles. "Sup".

"Gotta package".

"Oh shit! It's my skateboard!" Elly grabs it out of Jason's hands, grabbing a packet knife off her desk.

**
Gabi sits with Lucas in his room. Lucas stops pacing back and forth. "So...You have feelings for Elly?"

"...I.. think so...But also, I still like you...I really do...But I like her too".

Lucas chuckles to himself, shaking his head. "Fuck, Gabi. When we first started dating, I specifically asked you if you were over it".

"Well...I guess I'm not! Damn! You don't have to be so mean".

Lucas shrugs, "She doesn't like you! She's made that known! T-the only reason we're going on Friday is so she can meet up with Jazmyne".

"I know! Stop yelling at me!" Gabi crosses her arms, sighing loudly.

Lucas sighs loudly, nodding. "So what do you want to do? Break up?"

Gabi shrugs, "I'm not sure. I think...I need time to...think".

Lucas nods, "Fine. Okay".

Gabi stands up, grabbing her purse and jacket. "We'll talk later".

Lucas nods and sits down on his bed. He watches as Gabi walks out of the room. Lucas grabs his phone, texting their group chat.

turns out i can't go friday...babysitting imani. sorry.

He sets his phone back down, shaking his head. He lays down, putting his hands on his face.

**
Noah sits down, nodding. "So..he ran away".

"Yes, Mijo. He lefts us this note". Noah's mom hands him the note.

im so sorry. i need to clear my head. i can't stand it here without my parents. it's so unfair they got deported. they've been working so hard to get their visas and im only here cause my DACA is up to date. it's a matter of time before it expires and im being sent back. to mr. and mrs. martinez, thank you for everything. thank you for your shelter and love. thank you for supporting me and giving me care. to noah, im sorry i was rude to you. extremely. please forgive me. thank you for being a brother figure to me, for the good times we did have. thank you Martinez's for unconditional love.

Noah looks up, "I-is this a suicide note? It sounds so-".

"We don't know. We've contacted the police and they've started an undercover investigation".

Noah sets the note down, nodding. "Fuck. I'm so sorry, Ma".

"Oh, mi amor. It's okay. I'm just so worried about his safety".

"Okay".

"Go wash up, papi. Dinner will be done in a few, okay?"

Noah nods, grabbing the note. "Okay. I'm gonna take this".

"Okay..Take your time, okay?"

Noah nods and stands up. He grabs his backpack off the ground, walking up to his room. He sees Mateo's things in bags with writing in them.

Noah looks back, seeing his dad. "They're bagged for the investigation. Seeing if he left any clues or anything for where he may be... We're gonna move his stuff in the storage".

Noah nods, setting his bag down on his bed. He goes over to what was Mateo's side of the room. He looks through the boxes, sighing.

**