Chapter 32

Kheer:  Indian desert :)

************

KABIR

It's been three days I have been with Aditi and one thing is clear to me – How much ever I try to push away the thought, the truth is I like Aditi.

I am scared. Scared of 'love'. What if she leaves me like my father left my mother. He always told that he loved us the most in the entire universe but what happened ultimately; He left us all alone and my mother died. His selfish self left us to earn money.

In spite of knowing this why can't I stop myself from getting close to Aditi? Previously I thought it was just lust because no doubt she is extremely pretty and has a figure to die for, but soon I realised that I don't look at her like a pervert but in a different way. One sad look on her face and swear I can tear the world apart to get her smile back and when she does smile I know that I can do anything in the world to see her like that. She is rebellious but it's her rebel that draws me even more to her. She has tolerated so much of me how? And why?

I shut my eyes and imagine Aditi smiling but soon darkness takes her place.

"Kabir, Kabir." I hear a voice and frantically I open my eyes. Its Rani calling out my name. "Yes?" I ask her as I sit properly. I have been sleeping against the window pane all evening.

"You haven't had your lunch. It's dinner." She says taking a step away from me and standing with hands by her side.

"Yes coming." I say as I rub my eyes.

Rani walks away and with a smile I walk to the dining area. Smile because I have realised that Aditi isn't only a friend to me. She is much more than that and maybe now I can trust 'love'?

Seeing every family member seated around the rectangle table I take my seat but my eyes keep on searching for Aditi in the black dress. I shouldn't have slept. What if something went wrong?

"Kabir? Searching for someone?" Ma speaks with an intent look on her face.

"Um..no..no..." I lie but still look around with my side vision as I take a spoon of dal in my mouth. Where is she?

Suddenly I notice a bowl kept before me. "Kheer ,your favourite!" Rani says with a smile.

I just smile and take a spoon of kheer shoving in my mouth. Sweet! Delicious!

"Wow! It's delicious! It's not Simon! I know that!" I say as the last bit of sweet falls down my throat.

"It's a new worker...." Rani says timidly.

Aditi? I didn't know she could cook so well!

"Can I get more?" I look at Rani who nods slightly but Ma interrupts and says in a stern voice, "No. That's enough for today."

I frown as her baseless orders irritate me sometimes. As I am done with the dinner so am I done with everyone else around? Pushing the chair in agitation I storm up to my room.

I change to my hoddie as the weather cools down unpredictably. Standing at the balcony I look at the stars and wish if things could be better in my life. I wish I could turn back time. Mom would make Kheer for me whenever I achieved something. She would feed me and dad together and both of them would run after me to feed me the last tiny bite. Dad!

I feel tear in the corner of my eye and I wipe it off with my thumb, shoving my hands back in the track pant pockets. Within a blink I see a bowl of Kheer brought before my face. A huge smile forms on my face and I turn to find Aditi holding the bowl beside me.

"You love it right?" She says with a smile.

I nod and take the bowl from her hand. With the first bite a moan leaves my mouth. Gulping down the first bite and let out a breath and then gobble down the entire Kheer within seconds. "I love it!" I finally say as I keep the bowl on the table behind me.

"I'll just go and risen my mouth." I quickly hop to the bathroom and risen my mouth. 

Coming out I see Aditi still standing in the balcony. Standing to her side I see her staring at the sky and in the moonlight notice how her beauty hasn't vanished a bit. We stand silently staring at the star filled sky.

Suddenly I sense her shivering. "Its chilly out here. Want to go back in?" I say as I notice her shivering once again.

"Right but I like it here outside. It's just my palms that's it." Aditi as and rubs her palms together to gather warmth.

I turn to face her and grab her hands. Holding her hands I pull then into my long baggy sleeves. The moment I touched her I felt a spark within me. Its felt amazing to feel her hands in mine. The way her delicate hands fit in mine I feel as if they join like puzzle pieces. Looking at her I see her losing her breath. Like she felt the zing too.

"Aditi...I..." I begin unaware of what I would speak further but she cut me off.

"You should forgive him." I instantly knew who she was talking about- My father.

Letting out a breath I feel her hand squeeze mine and I begin, " I was ten. He left us to make money. They always said that they loved each other a lot. Mom had brain tumour and guess what instead of staying with her he left. I..... I hate him for that."

"Have you ever tried talking to him?"

"No way!" I snap and she looks down on the floor.

"He did not know. Your mother sent him to get you a bright future, Kabir."

I am exasperated. Why is she talking about the thing I don't like to talk about?

" He loves you Kabir. You are lucky Kabir, you are not an...orphan." Saying so she lets go off my hand and stand by my side. There is silence between us and I just keep on thinking about mom's death. 

Even her last words were that she loved me and dad. Why do Aditi's words affect me so much? No one has ever talked to me about the incident in years. Mom had told me that dad would come back for he loves us a lot, but he was late. I know I might have punished him more than he deserved but I never had the courage to break the ice, neither did he?

"Kabir?" I turn to face Aditi and I know tears have welded up in my eyes. "I know Kabir its life and not everything can be good, but what's good can be cherished. He is your only family in this house, trust me!" I just nod as I absorb her words. For the first time in years someone has pointed out my mistake.

Cupping my cheeks she makes me face her and a tear falls down my cheek. Wiping it off with her hand she says, "Never hurt the one you love Kabir." I break down into flurry of tears. I have been such a jerk in the past years.

 I hug Aditi and she rubs my back. It feels home in her arms. Whenever it's dark she is holding my hand .It's not just liking? I love her. I want to scream at the top of my voice- I LOVE YOU ADITI! And tell the world that but before that I want her to know. I want her in my arms forever.

Awkwardly she gets separated from me and I feel as if I saw her eyes glister with water but I must be imagining. Sighing she says, "Drop me home please." WHAT! NOW? Why has she to go so early. I don't want her to go.

"Are you sure? I mean the media....." I begin with just a wish for her to stay.

"Its all fine now I heard your grandmother announce." She say looking at me for a second then at the floor.

"Are you fine?" I sense something is wrong.

"Yeah! Absolutely!" She says with a short smile.

"Just like that. Forget it! Are you sure the keys...." Please stay Aditi!

"I know the spare one. Just got reminded of! Let's go."I nod with disappointment all over my face.

***********

Vote and let me know you are following the story and liking it!

Enjoy reading :)