Chapter 27 - Daddy issues

Zay's POV:

"For real Frankie what the hell do you want? I said I'd call you later."

"It is later." My father speaks on the other end of the phone.

"I'm still out with my girlfriend at the moment, I really don't have time to talk." I huff

I look up at Charlie and she pouts softly, knitting her brows together.

"Ten minutes that's all I've got." I sigh and sit down in the sand.

"Son, I'm sorry, I wanted you to know that we're over, she's gone, you can come home." He slurs

"She's gone because you kicked her out or because she left you?"

"She left me, but it's for the best, I want my son back."

"You couldn't bring in enough money huh daddy dearest?" I laugh softly. "You should have thought about that before you kicked out the only person who ever gave a shit about you."

"Son please." He begs. "You said you're with your girlfriend? You must be doing okay?"

"I am doing okay thanks to her and her family. I have a job, money for my bills and rent, and I'm keeping out of trouble, but most importantly she cares about me."

"She sounds great, do I know her family?"

"She is, yeah apparently you do, Amity and Chet Raven."

"Really? Amity's daughter? If she's anything like her Mom, she's beautiful."

"She is, anyway, ten minutes is up, bye." I hang up.

"That didn't seem so bad?" Charlie ask as she sits down on my lap.

"He's drunk, he'll forget by morning." I shrug.

"Did he remember my parents?"

"Yeah, and your dad was right, my old man did think your mom was hot." I laugh.

"Oh gosh, he was a brave man making eyes at my mom with my father around."

"Brave or stupid, I'll go with stupid." I laugh and place my hand on her cheek. "Thank-you."

"For?" she smiles down at me. "For everything you've done for me."

"I'll always be here." she replies and presses her lips to mine.

After our walk on the beach we return home to the Raven residents and head inside.

"You're back." Amity smiles from the kitchen table the second we enter the home. "Did you have a nice night?"

"It was nice." Charlie nods with a smile as we enter the kitchen hand in hand. "What are you still doing up?"

"I had an interesting phone call just now."

"You did?" Charlie asks sitting down "Who?"

"Your dad." She looks up at me and I take a seat next to Charlie.

"He's been calling all night, I'm sorry he bothered you."

"He was a mess, clearly drunk but it was really sad to see that side of him." she sighs. "I've known your father for a really long time and never before have I had a conversation with him in such a state."

"Did he tell you the entire story or only the parts where it's all my fault?"

"He didn't tell me anything at all, he just wanted to thank me for taking you under my wing like I did him all those years ago." She smiles. "Look I know you two aren't on the best terms right now but he is your father and he does love you; he wouldn't be reaching out if he didn't."