Chapter Eighteen - Past

Victoria

That kiss. That kiss had been the best thing that had happened to me in the seventeen years of my life. I hadn't felt so happy. When he'd started kissing me, I couldn't believe it. For a solid two minutes, his lips were grinding against mine, I'd wondered if the alarm would blare any minute and wake me up.

To prove myself he was real, I'd caught fistfuls of his hair instinctively, and heard him groan in pain or pleasure I wasn't sure. And I'd assumed he was doing it because he finally wanted me more than just friends.

And then reality had sunk in. He was kissing me as a distraction from our earlier argument. That was completely like Tyler, doing whatever was necessary to avoid confrontation.

He had a stubborn streak, I wouldn't deny it. He was possessive even, and I didn't want to think what it would be like to actually date him. Tyler would yield control, and like he'd promised he'd take whatever he wanted.

A shiver ran down my body. I pumped the inhaler and felt much better as I finally gained control of my breathing.

A button from his shirt was clenched in my fist. I threw it across the room angrily.

I loved him with every fiber in my body but that didn't mean that I tolerated him hurting other people no matter how much they actually deserved it.

I heard the loud screech of a car and knew that he'd left.

I was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling when I heard a knock at the door. I sat up straight, "come in."

Archer walked inside the room carrying a plate of food. He placed it on the bedside table. "You haven't eaten anything."

"I'm not hungry."

"You have to take your medications and in order to do that, you need to eat. If you're going to argue then I'll be forced to tell Dad."

I laughed without humor, "I don't think he would care."

Archer and I shared a knowing look but didn't say anything further about it. Instead, he asked, "Want to talk about it?"

"We just had a fight," I said, not wanting to elaborate on it.

"Regarding what?"

"I'm not saying. It's not something that we should be even discussing."

Archer's gaze bore into mine, "He's the one who hit T.J. I know it."

"How did you know?"

He chuckled, "All that acting he does in school, the Star forward, Team captain, the guy who blends in with every crowd, who tops every exam. I mean, who's he kidding? We are the only ones who can see past all that and see for what he truly is."

"Which is?"

"Fucked up. Seriously fucking cuckoo." He said, "Vicky, I'm in no position to tell you what to do, and even though Ty is our friend, I'm still going to warn you. If you keep poking the lion, don't expect him to meow at you. He will devour you before you even know it. Listen to what he says, just stay away from him. There's no one who knows him better than himself and if he thinks he's toxic for you, then don't test him."

"I think I'm old enough to know what's right and wrong for me so let me decide what I want to do with Ty. Don't come between us."

Archer sighed, "I care for you. Sure he's my best friend, but if he hurts a single hair on your head, I'll kill him and I don't even give a shit about what happens to our friendship. I want you to be very careful."