Chapter Thirty-Nine: Dream or Reality?

After walking in on Rebekah torturing my Damon for the location of the stakes made to kill the Originals, I decided that going to work early the next day was a good idea. After everything that's been happening, I hadn't taken time to myself, I enjoyed just relaxing and getting breakfast early in the morning. It was peaceful until my sister called. 

When Elena's name popped up on the screen, I almost didn't answer. With a sigh, I picked up on the last ring. "What is it?" I huffed in annoyance. 

"I'm sorry. I should have listened to you, we shouldn't have tried to kill the Originals." She said over the phone. 

I was driving to work from the restaurant I had breakfast at when my foot slammed on the brakes, and I pulled off to the side of the road. "I told you about the consequences that killing an Original would bring! Not only did you not believe me and try to kill them all anyway, but after you found out I was right, you were still going to kill them, just not the one who sired the Salvatores'! What gives you the right?" 

"They have to die! They are horrible people! You saw what Rebekah did to Damon!" Elena defended herself.

Scoffing, I shook my head, "Okay, so you're willing to kill hundreds, possibly even thousands, of vampires to kill them?" There was silence on the other end of the phone, "Okay, Elena, fine. I'm done trying to show you the difference between right and wrong, it's clear to me you lost that somewhere down the line. Just ask yourself: when you succeed, if you succeed, what will differentiate you from them?" 

There was no response for a minute. I even checked to make sure Elena hadn't hung up on me. Then she said the one sentence that made me hang up on her, "We gave Rick a stake, and now it's missing." 

I hit the end call button so hard I'm shocked my screen didn't break. Then I just sat there blinking, because what can you do? After a minute, I scrolled through my contacts and hit Klaus' name, waiting for him to pick up. 

I was pushed to voicemail. 

Sighing, I waited for the beep then started to speak. "Hey, it's me. Listen, I know we are on rocky roads, but I wanted to call and tell you that there is a white oak stake missing, and Rick was the last one who had it. Be careful." Sighing, I shook my head, "Bye, Klaus."

I sat on the side of the road for a moment longer before I called my boss. The phone rang four times before he picked up, "Hey, I'm not doing good at all this morning, can I take a sick day?" I asked him, hopefully.

"No problem, take it easy and get better soon." He assured me.

After hanging up the phone, I flipped a u-turn and started back towards Mystic Falls. 

By the time I pulled up to the Salvatore's, it was mid-morning, and I was even angrier than I was when I first found out about the missing stake. I stormed into the house, ready to kill whoever I saw first, "Damon, Stefan! Get your asses over here now, I'm about to kill both of you!" I shouted into the mansion. 

"You have quite the set of lungs on you, Love," I heard an English voice say behind me. 

I whirled around to come face to face with Klaus, "Oh, thank god! I need to tell you, Elena just told me that Crazy Alaric hid the last white oak stake! You have to be careful or leave Mystic Falls or something because he'll kill you!" I told him in a rush. 

"Good job keeping a secret, Europa," Stefan said behind me. 

I flipped him off and rolled my eyes, "I called him as soon as I found out. Unlike some people, I'm not okay with killing god knows how many innocent vampires to kill my friends."