16

Chapter Sixteen | Star crossed Lovers

Many speeches and champagne glasses later, and we're still here at this event. It's starting to get more causal now. The band was playing louder, and everyone had gotten up from their assigned seats and were not mingling around. I couldn't count the number of people my father has introduced me to within the past hour. It's seemed like every second I was being thrown into another boring conversation about stocks and investments.

That's why I didn't hesitate to lie and tell my parents I had to use the restroom. That was almost fifteen minutes ago, and all I've been doing is walking around the place trying my best to avoid them and their boring friends.

Somehow I had managed to make it outside to the stone balcony that wrapped around the place and showcased the beautiful garden down below that is filled with a variety of flowers, all colorful, all beautiful. The night sky above is how I wish to fly. It is the most beautiful art, alive with in raw energy, a song for the eyes. At times I felt as if I could feel it vibrating somehow, whispering in a way ears cannot hear. I guess it felt friendly when your world of people felt so devoid of love.

I let my fingers slide against the stone railing of the balcony as I walked around it. I stare at the moonlight wishing that the night sky would carry me away, release me from these shackles of worry. I know I shouldn't think like this — I'm blessed, so they say. I'm a wealthy kid, attending one of the best schools in the world, with one of Forbes top ten self-made millionaires as my father. I should be happy and I know I should, but I just can't find it in me to be. It isn't often I wished I was never born into this family, but then I feel torn when I realize how much luckier I am than others and I try to feel grateful for what my parents have built. But, it's hard.

I've always heard the phrase money can't buy happiness and I always thought it was bogus —Clearly whoever came up with this quote never had enough money. Money sure as hell makes me happy and it solves most of my problem, but it seems the older I'm getting the more I'm beginning to realize that maybe it can't solve everything.

I swing around one of the stone pillars that leads around a corner. I stopped in my tracks when I notice someone a few feet away leaning against the railing. It wasn't until I walked a few steps closer that I realized it was only Asher.

He had removed the jacket of his suit and now only wore the white button up that was undid a few buttons exposing his chest a little. He looked like he was in deep thought as he leaned against the railing staring ahead at nothing, a half empty glass of champagne lingering in his hands.

"Needed some fresh air too, Parris?" He doesn't met my gaze as he spoke, and instead takes a sip from his glass.

"Don't call me that." I narrowed my eyes at him.