chapter twenty nine

The journey home was silent. No words were exchanged between Jasmine and myself. I was trapped inside my mind, overthinking anything and everything. I wondered if she were mad at me for not telling her the truth. I didn't want her to hate me for sleeping with her brother-and Aries. I didn't want to assume that them being literal sex demons made it okay. She was still a being of some sort with feelings. And she was my friend, I should've told her.

Even the elevator ride up to the apartment was silent. We made temporary eye contact in the surrounding mirrors, but she broke it quickly. I couldn't tell what she was feeling and that made me uncomfortable. She almost seemed much like her brother now, nearly emotionless.

I unlocked the front door, stumbling inside. Jasmine trailed closely behind me, shutting the door behind her. The apartment was silent and I assumed that we were alone like I wanted. But as I tossed my keys on the counter, I realized I made a mistake. Silas exited his room and made his way over to me. I found myself taking a step back instinctively. He titled his head, a small frown on his mouth.

And then he noticed Jasmine. His eyes narrowed at her before he looked back at me. How the hell was I going to get out of this one? I felt my throat burning so I raised my hands to my neck.

"What are you doing here?" He asked Jasmine. She didn't offer him a response. She seemed almost as solemn as I did. "What's wrong?" He asked me.

"Nothing," I said quietly. It hurt to speak, so I couldn't speak as loudly as I wanted to. My tone was softer than I intended. "Why do you think something's wrong?"

"Well, I know my sister and I know you. And you both seem upset." He stopped in front of me, raising his hands to where my hands resided around my neck. I didn't try to stop him when I knew I should've. He began to pull my arms down slowly just as the front door opened. Silas' eyes narrowed immediately at my neck. "I didn't do that."

"Do what?" I heard from behind me. I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up as Aries made his way into the room. I cursed under my breath.

I wasn't planning on telling them about the Lucifer situation initially. I wanted to keep it a secret as long as I could. But I could only imagine now that there was bruising around my neck, I couldn't lie at this point. I could've tried to blame it on them. But as much as they had choked me during sex, it was never enough to bruise me. They were careful, but Lucifer didn't give a fuck about being careful. He wanted to prove a point. He wanted to hurt me-kill me even, if he had gotten the chance.

I gulped. This wasn't going to end well.

"She has bruises on her neck," Silas said, tilting my chin up and head back so that he could get a better view. "Finger marks."

"What?" I heard Aries growl. He nearly stomped as he made his way closer to me. I swallowed nervously, a furious look on his face as he got a better view of my neck. I was terrified to see it myself as horror flashed on his face. His eyes went up to mine just as I felt my eyes watering, but I was trying to stop myself. I didn't cry often, and if I was going to cry I definitely didn't want it to be in front of anyone. "Natalia, what the fuck happened?"

"Nothing," I lied, avoiding his eyes.

"Nothing?" He scoffed. He turned his gaze to Jasmine. "What happened?" She didn't answer him. I nearly jumped in shock as he moved in the blink of an eye in front of her. He towered over her much like he did me. "Jasmine, what the fuck happened?"

I thought for a moment that Silas that would've killed Aries for speaking to his sister like that. But as usual, he stayed silent. He was looking at Jasmine like he wanted to know too, waiting expectedly. She looked in between the two of them nervously, her gaze falling on me. She was searching for my approval to tell them and I respected her for it. But this was my mess that she had accidentally got caught up in. I needed to put on my big girl pants and speak up.