Chapter 22

Lady K

Lady K

"Welcome Ma." Being disrespectful wasn't Oma's only hobby, she was a partial snub too. You should have seen the way she sashayed past the old maid, holding on tightly to her green Gucci bag. She had a really huge smile on her face. Why wouldn't she, when she had spent almost the entire day with her childhood lover, and soon to be husband. For someone that was hardly impressed by anyone or anything, Jeremiah was an exception. He was one of the two most important people in her life, and after her father died, he had become everything to her, even though Jeremiah wasn't really good at reciprocating those feelings. He wasn't as excited about their relationship as she was.

"And where do you think you're coming from?"

Her mother's voice brought her to a reluctant halt, refraining her from taking another step towards the stairs, while she heard the tiny footsteps approaching her from the huge door by her left. Oma rolled her eyes, and then slowly turned to the thin woman that approached her in her white silky night robe, and a glass of wine in her hands.

Amanda Richards.

The acting CEO of Richwell. Oma was an exact replica of her mother. Anyone would think they were twins, and it wasn't just because Amanda was still so young and just as beautiful. But what everyone didn't know was that these "twins" really never got along. Let's just say Oma was more of her father's daughter and after their separation, she had spent the better part of her life with him before her mother had to move in with her permanently, after he had died.

Amanda's relationship with her husband wasn't exactly the best. Everyone would say it was because she got married to him at a very young age, so when she got older, she realized she wasn't really in love with him, and so they fell out all the time. Amanda was only eighteen when she had Oma, so she still looked so young, and retained her youth, even after eighteen years.

"Don't you know what time it is?"

"Since when did you care about my whereabouts?"

"Ever since you lived here. Ever since you're living in my house, and eating my food."

Oma scoffed. She was trying so hard not to laugh.

"I got a call from the bank this morning." She continued glaring at Oma. "Eight million Naira. You spent eight million Naira in just three hours. What on earth did you need to spend all that money for? Do you know how hard it is to make money? How can you go around burning so much money as you like when you've never worked for a dime in your life? Do you know how much sweat people put in to make the money you feel so comfortable burning all the time?!" Now she was raising her voice all of a sudden. "Do you not know the country we live in and how many people can't even afford a meal and what do you do? You go around carelessly spending so much on new designer bags and clothes and shoes-"

"So what?" Oma snapped back at her. She was glaring at her. "What's your business with how I decide to spend my money? Is it your money?"

"What?"

"Everything is mine. The company, my shares, this house, all mine! Dad left everything in my name, you're only here to help me use them how I like. You're only acting CEO because I let you, just till I'm twenty one. and guess what- that's really close. In three years I'd take it all back. How can you tell me how to spend my money? What's your business with what I do with my own money!" She raised her voice back

"Omachukwu Elizabeth Richard!"

"Until when are you going to stop? Until when are you going to stop trying to control me? Until when are you going to stop acting like you care about me when you don't? You only care about what you're getting from me. Everyone knows you're only trying to act like a perfect mother now because Dad left everything in my name. You're trying to take advantage of that fact, to take advantage of me. You left me here and came back the moment you heard my father was dead!" She scoffed.

"I know you killed my father." She was really pushing it, even when it was obvious her mother was getting really upset now. "I know you killed him so you could inherit everything from him, didn't you? But you didn't know he already had a will, you never thought he prepared for that day. I'd never let you rule my company. I'd never let you have a penny of my money, so enjoy all the luxury, wealth and fame you're getting in my place for now, because in three years from now, I'm going to take it all back and leave you with nothing. I'm going to take everything from you and leave you right back where you started. Broke and insignificant-"

Amanda slapped her. God, she slapped her so hard that it had echoed around the house. It had surprised everyone including the old maid standing right behind them, including Oma who had turned quickly to glare at her after being numb for a few seconds, her hair was sticking to her face now and her right eye was red. You could see Amanda's fingerprint on her left cheek.

"How dare you?!" Amanda yelled at her. "How dare you talk to me like that?" A frown covered her entire face. She didn't care even though, Oma's eyes were welled up with tears. She couldn't believe it. She had never been hit all her life before. Maybe once or twice by the same woman standing beside her, but that was a long time ago. Richard wasn't exactly the kind of father that tolerated anyone hitting or abusing his child. He hated violence, especially if it had to involve any member of his family, and that was exactly why Oma was so spoilt.

"Have you lost your mind?" Amanda continued. "Just who do you think you're talking to?!"

"I hate you." Oma told her as her eyes became so glossy, finally dropping her hand from her face and standing still. "I hate you with an utmost passion and I wish you had died instead of my father. And I can't wait- I can't wait to get married to Jeremiah and leave this frustrating house, leave you!"

Amanda scoffed.

"I'd do all I can to be a better wife than you were to my father- a better person. I can't wait to get married to him and leave you behind for good! I hate you!" She yelled. "Mark today's date," She continued "Because I swear, I'm going to make you pay for this slap in double folds."

"You're still running your mouth?" Amanda bent over and then took out one of her slippers. "Alright, keep talking and see if that slap won't be the least of your problems." She aimed it at her. Oma scoffed. "I swear to God, keep trying me Oma and I promise you, you'd wish you didn't. If your father was too soft on you to not discipline you, don't think I would."

Oma rolled her eyes.

"That was what I thought." Amanda said after Oma's silence.

"You disgust me." Oma told her

"What did you just say to me?"

"You're honestly dead to me." Oma told her, and then turned to the stairs. She began to run up ,

"Oma!" Amanda yelled her name "Come back here, Omachukwu! I'm not done yet!" She ran after her.