Chapter Eleven

Alpha King Lancaster's POV

Everything has been going well with Elora, or at least, she show's the others and me that she's ok. As promised, she started attending meals again, she wouldn't eat much, maybe two or three items on her plate. It wasn't enough, but she was adjusting and while the lack of nutrition over the years was evident, she was improving, albeit very slowly. But it was still progress.

That's what I would tell myself anyway, to help me from piling more food onto her plate.

She wouldn't talk much either, only really reply to direct questions. But her voice has been louder, more confident then she was when she had first arrived. It was still progress, those four words had soon become a mantra in my head. I needed to keep reminding myself that. 

A human Luna Queen was unheard of, there aren't any records of a Luna Queen ever being human, so I went and talked to a few of the Epsilon, Guards and just any wolf I could find that had ended up with a human mate. I needed advice, I needed to know how to do this properly, I couldn't risk losing her and I felt that if I did anything too wolfish, even on accident, that she would leave, that she would run away and never come back. I couldn't risk it, wolves only mated once. Their mate was their forever person, I couldn't let her leave. I could win her over since the mate bond seemed to be doing an awful job at showing her that she didn't need to be scared.

Some of the wolves I had talked too understood, their mates had been terrified of them too. That helped me slightly.

Some hadn't had a problem at all. Their mates quickly feeling the same passionate love that the wolf felt for them.

I received a range of different advice, but the most common one seemed to be take it slow, don't rush them, but show them you care. Elora was warming up to me, slowly but surely I knew she was. Yet I couldn't be close to her. Every time I tried to hold her in my arms, all I would feel was her trembling, it made me sick. Sick that she was so scared, sick that no matter how hard I tried, she just couldn't love me yet.

My wolf would howl endlessly every moment Elora rejected our advances, but he would howl at me even at the slightest touch. So there really wasn't much winning for me.

My wolf was devasted that he couldn't talk to his mate, there had been times where I could feel his claws tearing apart my skin from the inside in an attempt to just meet her. I was able to hold him back, but only barely.

Last night I had an epiphany, we had spent barely any time alone. Elora had also specifically told me that she wanted to do our relationship the human way, I had done my research, the perfect thing was to take her on a date.

Except I had no idea was on earth Elora would like. She doesn't talk to me, and I couldn't mess this up. A date would be perfect, it would give us the opportunity to get to know each other in a private environment. If I did something wrong then she wouldn't talk, she would just let me talk. If I served the wrong thing or we went to the wrong place, then my entire date plan would be ruined.

I couldn't risk that.

So that leads me to where I was now.

Wandering through the dirty, disgusting, badly kept streets of the human side of Gyabo. I had the address of her old house written on a slip of paper that was burning against my clenched fist.

So far, no one had looked at me except the guards, who were quick to bow and offer me their respect. The humans, however, kept their eyes to the floor. Never once looking up, not even daring to move their heads. I wasn't sure if it was a sign of submission, disrespect or blatant fear.

Not one human, except one. She was storming up to me, grey hair flying out in every direction. A tattered, pale pink, floral nightgown covered her wrinkled, bony frame. In her hand was a long, splintered, mud-brown walking stick.