58: Long Wished; Long Awaited

Had Teddy Bridge attempted to guess the identity of his visitor, it was likely he'd have sooner met his grave. He'd exchanged few to no words with the young and tenacious Ms. Edwards, and though he'd heard of her spoken as sharper than the prickly sort, Matilde had only a smile on her face when they spoke.

That same smile remained when she made a proposal.

It remained when she suggested he do the same.

Their conversation was brief but vivid, a burning star stitched through the fabric of midnight skies, meant only for the wish of one.

Teddy Bridge's wish was coming true.

"Does she know?" He asked, standing on the porch of an estate that would no longer be written into his disgraced will. He clutched the parcel of paperwork Matilde had given him. "Mare," he said, savoring her name, averting his eyes. "Does she know?"

Matilde shot a smile over her shoulder that managed to be both coy and cunning at once. "I suppose you shall just have to ask her. Tonight. Masks on, Mr. Bridge."

She tipped her hat and was gone into the syrupy twilit woods. He watched her disappear, and then watched the place she'd gone into until dusk hushed over the horizon and fog began to seep between the burs.

He had no one to bid goodbye but the butler, who supplied him with hat and coat.

"And this, sir," he called, when Teddy had taken to the drive to meet the coach. "Not the night to be forgetting it, I'd think." He held out Teddy's mask, but didn't release it when Teddy reached. "I hope you don't mind my saying it, sir, but I do believe it's best you're off to the big city. A heart like yours doesn't suit small minds."

Teddy frowned, both flattered and quite surprised. He was left on the drive, mask in hand, his heels lit with flames and his heart like a sparked ember in his chest.

This time, he did not hesitate. 

Courageously onward he went, into the unknown, long wished, long awaited.