2.4

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here," Rhodey argued with General Ross, Bruce listening in from the other room as him and Pepper shared a pot of coffee. Scottie was still upstairs getting changed out of her clothes and having a quick shower.

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel," General Ross warned him as the man began to pick a fight about the paper that had torn the Avengers apart - and had taken Scottie away from them.

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that," he said, his hand lightly touching the braces on his leg. "We all paid for that."

General Ross paused for a moment as he realised that they had paid for that. Scottie Casey certainly did anyway.

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore."

Before either party could say anything else, five sets of footsteps caused them both to turn around and see the so called fugitives stumbling into the room. A small smirk appeared on Rhodey's face as he looked at the team, even if they did seem extremely worse for wear and were practically carrying Vision.

His eyes paused on Wanda for the slightest moment longer as he thought about the girl only a few floors above him. That was a reunion that he was glad was going to happen sooner rather than later.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve nodded to the digital protection of the man whose lip had curled up in an angry snarl in the direction of the man.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

Natasha laughed bitterly, her eyes boring into the man as she almost invited gum for a challenge. "You could use some of that right now."

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

Steve shook his head, taking a form step forward towards the projection. The scruffy beard on his face reminded Rhodey exactly of how long it had truly been since they had all last seen each other. After Steve's letter to Tony, the man had told General Ross that the remaining members of the Avengers would NOT be carrying out any search missions to find the others.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

Bruce and Pepper shared shocked looks as they tried to process the fact that their friends had shown up at the perfect time. Putting their coffees down, they both began to move through to the room.

"It's great to see you, Cap," Rhodey told the man after disconnecting the call between him and the war general. Steve smiled warmly at the man, his eyes briefly looking at the brace that rested on his leg.

"You too, Rhodey."

The men both shared a quick hug before Rhodey also hugged Natasha, having missed having the woman around. He pulled back before letting a small teasing chuckle fall from his lips.

"Well. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star," Sam said, an identical smile on guys face as he felt relief at the pleasant welcome from Rhodey. Just before anyone could say anything else, a small voice caught their attention from across the room.

"Uh, I think you look great," Bruce interrupted. Pepper was standing awkwardly next to him as Bruce and Natasha locked eyes, a romance that would never again be explored still hanging in the air between them.

"Uh... heh... Yeah. I'm back," he said awkwardly, shrugging as he tried to figure out what to say after his entrance. He could see the confused look of Sam as he had never really properly met the man but he knew who he was instantly.