41) Wind in My Hair (Song fic)

Y/n's long locks flowed along with the strong breeze. She sat at the window sill of her room, staring at the big bright moon and contemplating. What was beyond the walls? What was out there that her father didn't want her see?

What was she missing?

She sighed, for she could only imagine.

As she was about to pull herself away from her window sill, there was a sudden clack of wood hitting the outside of her window. She looked back out and down.

"Hey, Y/n!" a certain black haired alchemist jumped up from his ladder and greeted. Y/n fell backwards and screamed.

"Sorry! Sorry! it's just me." He chuckled, climbing all the way in.

"Varian! You literally live here! Why didn't you go through my door?" She gestured towards her large golden lined entrance.

"The guards wouldn't let me. They said you can't get out and no one can come in. I had to improvise." he explained. Y/n groaned and stood up only to fall upon her bed. Varian followed suit, dragging Y/n's hair from the window and back into the room.

"I'm so tired of being cooped up in here." She said, sighing.

"Well, you did unleash a hoard of rodents into the castle... again." He told her.

"Yeah, but they weren't gonna hurt anyone." She sat up and rested her elbows on her knees. Varian sat up and began to braid her hair.

"I just wish I had some freedom for once. Everytime I do one thing wrong, it's back into my jail cell."

"I don't know, Y/n. This is pretty luxorious for a jail cell," Varian joked. "Out of all the rooms in the entire palace, they make me sleep in my lab."

"I've been trying to get them to get you a room, by the way. They said they'll have one prepared."

"Haven't heard a single word about that until now." Varian chuckled. "I get how you feel though. Having to be in the same place all of the time is boring."

"I just wish I could explore beyond the palace..." She looked at her window longingly. Varian took notice.

"Well... I have to go outside palace walls for some special flowers. You wanna come with?"

Y/n looked at him perplexed. "Um, are you crazy? My parents would ground me for life and you'd be executed."

He smiled. "It'll be a quick trip."

"Wouldn't be worth it for a quick trip." She chuckled. Varian finished her braid and she turned around to look at him.

"Hmm... maybe a disguise would work."

"And how are you going to disguise a princess with seventy feet of hair outside the palace?"

"You'll be surprised how easy it'll be with just a little make up and an outfit change." He smirked. Y/n thought about it for a moment. On one hand, she'll finally get to see the world outside the gates! On the other, it's a huge risk...

But what's life without taking risks?

"Alright then, alchemist. You've convinced me."
---

Y/n and Varian snuck down the ladder and onto the ground. Y/n adjusted her cloak and dress. Varian smiled.

"You look like a different person."

"All thanks to you of course." She punched his shoulder playfully. He chuckled and pulled down the ladder and hid it behind a garbage can. He grabbed her hand and walked forward.